Members Volunteerly Quarterly Disclosure of their Investment Portfolio upto only 30 Stocks

Discussion in 'Ask A Query About Your Stock Picks And Portfolio' started by kharb, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Bankim

Bankim New Member

hey. I used to stick to 10-15 stocks but I keep investing new funds every month. I have made that commitment to myself. On an average, I invest 100000 every month. Soon I started looking at fresh ideas according to market conditions.

I'm also in touch with my broker who advices me on what to sell and what to buy. And he has given me good returns. I have also made some good calls myself. Picked up Spice jet when it was at 18-23 range.

I'm not a daily trader. Whenever I feel that the market it turning bullish, I invest in what has good potential.

I'm 35 and I plan to invest monthly for the next three years. This is my kids collage fees and my retirement fund. Not an aggressive investor but always looking at the way market is responding to the economics.

2. kharb

kharb Well-Known Member

.Your stretagy is giving you good return ,which you might have devopled with your experience,so better to remain with that .Always stick with policy which suits one.After all it is not impossible to handle more stocks for expert invester like you ,but an ordinary small invester may find hard to track so many ..One size of shoe does not fit every one.Good luck.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Bankim likes this.
  3. Bankim

Bankim New Member

Thx for the complements. But I still consider myself average. It's just keeping track of news I find online. If someone is recommending a stock to buy, I always check that advisers past calculations. And I also ignore most sell recommendations cause these are short term. Long term stocks where companies have a vision and good/decent management. Most sell recommendations are a short term hiccup. I did that mistake with Maruti. Sold at 385. Was 22 then. Today we know where it stands.

Srouta Mukherjee likes this.
  4. ksr

ksr New Member

Thanks

5. Srouta Mukherjee

Srouta Mukherjee Well-Known Member

BIG Mistake :( I also made lot of mistake and lost huge multibagger stocks gains :(

6. Farhan Ghumra

Farhan Ghumra Active Member

Waiting for your portfolio

7. Kishan Ravia

Kishan Ravia New Member

Investor must believe in concentrated portfolios...anything above 10 is over diversified...(you may take any number)...

My assumption is if you got best idea with ahead of crowd (unfortunately with limited position or small in size)...How will you get money or reward your analysis...

As more and more companies will offer less margin of safety...Indian investors turning up at intelligent levels...

Dont waste your hard core idea- give your money chance to grow and play big (believe in yourself is the first part of any Analysis).

Hope it helps.

Regards
    Kishan

w4wealth likes this.
  8. w4wealth

w4wealth Well-Known Member

My take is that if you are investing in companies that you know / experienced personally with decent management and good then you can concentrate your portfolio to 4-5 stocks that you are most bullish on. Any thing beyond 5/6 is over diversification.

9. Kishan Ravia

Kishan Ravia New Member

Yes sir,

Most of the wealth can be made through only few stock ideas...

4 to 5 stocks is too much over dependence on individual stocks...though finally everyone should keep their winners till the end...(Continuing performing companies)

Though appreciate your views, keep up the good work sir...

Regards,
    Kishan

10. saashy

saashy Member

On diversification / number of stocks in a portfolio, I have opted for a different approach. While having a smaller number has its own merit, I have gone for a much larger number. BROADLY, This is how it looks ..
    Number of stocks -- %age of PF
    11 stocks -- 50%
    Next 15 -- 25%
    Next 44 -- 25%

---——------------------
    70 stocks -- 100%
    ---------------------------

Why so much diversification? In 'next 44' group I have mostly smaller caps which could be 'high risk' but are chosen carefully (I try to !) out of a large available pool that this segment offers. Diversification helps me mitigate the risk of any bad selection, while also help me spot a great performer little early. Stocks that perform well get get that much more allocation and move up in my portfolio. Any bad selections ease out early. Many stocks that could not have been part of my pf of 30, got entry through this route (while they were not as much spotted then), and helped me. Few example being Fiberweb, White Organic, Easun Reyrolle, Indiabulls ventures, Sir Shadi Lal, Ajanta Soya .. ); and few that did not work out like - Tai Industries, NHC Foods .. .

This 25% segment actually has helped me better my returns. While one can argue, and rightly so, that the experience could be different in a downside market; my sense is that having a larger basket will work better than otherwise, in all the situations. As of now, I have chosen to go with this approach.

Welcome any views. Thanks ..

11. saashy

saashy Member

The view also could be that, with such a small exposure ( < 1% of pf ), the gains are pretty limited. My response would be - 1. Its better to have some exposure than not to have at all. 2 With good gains ( and add-ons once your selection seems to have been validated ), the good stocks do get more %age allocation and move up in pf . And 3, together these 44 stocks make a substantial 25% of the pf, and do impact significantly.

12. G_One

G_One Member

My 9 month old portfolio and allocation is as below:

PI Industries -12%
    Capital First - 11%
    Natco Pharm-10%
    Persistent Sys -8%
    Minda Ind -8%
    ABFRL - 8%
    Syngene - 8%
    Motherson Sumi-8%
    Suzlon -6%
    DCB Bank - 6%
    Subex -5%
    JB Chem-5%
    TCI + TCI XPS - 5%

Overall gain from last 9 months is at 26%. Barring Persistent and Subex, rest of the PF is in green

Cheers
    G1

adi16, saashy, w4wealth and 1 other person like this.
  13. paraacbe

paraacbe New Member

I am a small time investor who has invested from 2009 but hold only 5 stocks and plan to be active from now on.
    My Portfolio
    1.Tech Mahindra(45%).Understood its wrong to have so much on one script and plan to reduce this to 15%
    2.Coal India 15%
    3. Powergrid 18%
    4. Interglobe aviation 10%
    5. Pricol 12%

kharb likes this.
  14. RAMA MURTHY SASTRY CHALLA

RAMA MURTHY SASTRY CHALLA Well-Known Member

Your portfolio is very High risk High Return portfolio , Above 15 % investment in single stock is very high risk
    Tech mahindra 45 % is very high risk

Your portfolio is very tight portfolio

kharb likes this.
  15. w4wealth

there are better stocks than tech mahindra in IT space. study persistent sys, mindtree etc.

16. Thamizh

Thamizh New Member

Here is my portfolio:
    It is over diversified and working on to narrow down to <=30 stocks.
    Below Top 30 stocks consist of 72% my portfolio

AUROPHARMA 4.2
    YESBANK 3.9
    HCLTECH 3.2
    ICICIBANK 3.2
    DRREDDY 3.1
    MINDTREE 3
    TATAMTRDVR 2.9
    INFY 2.9
    LT 2.8
    TCS 2.8
    CMI 2.6
    TORNTPHARM 2.6
    ITC 2.4
    HDFCBANK 2.4
    RELIANCE 2.3
    ASHOKLEY 2.3
    TECHM 2.2
    LUPIN 2.1
    CUPID 2
    AXISBANK 1.9
    INDUSINDBK 1.9
    HEROMOTOCO 1.8
    BRITANNIA 1.8
    COALINDIA 1.7
    SKSMICRO 1.6
    ULTRACEMCO 1.6
    SUNPHARMA 1.5
    BERGEPAINT 1.5
    HAVELLS 1.5
    PERSISTENT 1.5

Entire IT & Pharma sector is down and so couple of my top holding are down and few banking stocks saved me.

Trying to reduce exposure on IT stocks, especially large cap IT TCS, Infosys and TechM and tracking Mid Cap IT such as Mindtree, persistent & Hexaware.

What are the other sector/stock shall I add/reduce in my present portfolio?
    I am looking to grow my porfolio of 20 CAGR and it is 15% now.
    i would greatly appreciate any input/suggestion.

kharb likes this.
  17. G_One

G_One Member

No plans to add fresh money till a significant correction happens. This is a long term PF, and I put it together to help me close my home loan approx in 7 years.
    Will prune and make fresh additions or selling based on how the shares fare, otherwise I plan to stick to the current PF and hold on the same.

Cheers
    G1

kharb likes this.
  18. w4wealth

reduce no of stocks below 10 if you are comfortable, that will boost returns of your portfolio

19. Thamizh

Thamizh New Member

Thanks a lot! What is your approach to accomplish this? Should I stock to best performing stocks Or diversified sector and 1 stock for each sector? Can you please provide additional information?

20. paraacbe

paraacbe New Member

Yes Sir.Thanks for your inputs.I am planning to sell Tech Mahindra on dips and diversify on other sectors.