Query about few stocks from my portfolio

Discussion in 'Ask A Query About Your Stock Picks And Portfolio' started by Sayan, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Sayan

Sayan New Member

Dear all,

I am pretty new to the share market, but I am sure your valuable guidance will make my life little easier.

I have few stocks in my portfolio, and due to the fall in the market, they are much below my buying price. Now I need to know which one of them should I retain for long term profit and which others I should sell off to get new stocks which will grow in the next growth cycle of the market.

I have the following stocks:

Axiscades: Bought @ 331, CMP 272
    JK Tyres: Bought @ 125, CMP 117
    Suzlon: Bought @ 27.8, CMP 25-26
    Indraprastha Medico: Bought @ 64, CMP 54
    Ambika Cotton: Bought @ 950, CMP 904
    Selan: Bought @ 288, CMP 267
    TV18 Broadcast: Bought @ 40, CMP 37

Please advice which one should I hold and which ones should I sell. And what sectors should I focus while buying?

Looking forward to your replies.

2. bholu

bholu Active Member

What is your investment horizon ?

Axiscades - discussed extensively in forum...if you have stomach hold on but track news

JK Tyres - hold , had a dream run in the last financial year but future looks promising, valuations cheap

Suzlon - hold , turning around with Shangvi at helm , major reduction in debt and foray into solar power

Indraprastha Medico- Not much idea but promoter group (Apollo) is very good

Selan - This stock is touted by many as the value buy/ multibagger in the oil gas sector, I have some concerns though prefer not to share them here, all I can say that in my opinion in this sector scale does matter , definitely look at results this year

Ambika Cotton - discussed in the forum

TV 18 - hold , now taken over by reliance group , fundamentals are poor but the strength of the group is a positive

(hold JK tyres, Axiscades)

3. Sayan

Sayan New Member

right now I am looking at a 9 - 12 months time horizon.

4. bholu

bholu Active Member

if you bought them then hold as none of them look too risky with the exception of Axiscades but if you were new to the market then you should have bought blue chips / quality mid caps, stocks in Nifty 50 or BSE 200....none of the stocks are in that list

5. Sayan

Sayan New Member

Agreed. I did not know all these when I started. But I am trying to learn everyday. Have to make a proper portfolio diversified in all sectors. As you can see these are impulsive buys either based on reco. But it has been less than a month, hopefully will do better over time.

6. Meenakshi Razdan

Meenakshi Razdan Administrator Staff Member Moderator

My suggestion is that instead of "impulsive" buying, based on hearsay and half-baked information, it is much better to clone the model portfolio prepared by reputed brokerages.

An example is that of Edelweiss' Model Portfolio of Top Picks. There are twelve 'high conviction' stocks in the portfolio, of which eight are large-caps and four are mid-caps. The stocks are spread sector-wise, with representatives of the finance, pharma, Info Tech, consumer etc in it.

The investment philosophy behind selecting each stock is explained in detail.

The Model Portfolio has performed very well. As of March 2015, the basket has delivered a CAGR return of 43% since inception as against Nifty CAGR return of 19%. On an annualized basis, the Top Picks have delivered a return of 74% per annum as against Nifty return of 41%.

There are similar Model Portfolios prepared by Sharekhan, IndiaNivesh, ICICI-Direct etc. You may study each of them and choose the one that appeals to you the most.

I think that is a more sensible approach rather than groping in the dark.