Advice on presently held shares / shares planned on long term basis.

Discussion in 'Ask A Query About Your Stock Picks And Portfolio' started by Jaya Prakash, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Jaya Prakash

Jaya Prakash New Member

Dear Sir,
    I am holding the following company shares, all of them are in loss between 10 to 25 %, and I plan to sell them off when at least the prices reach my cost:
    SBIN
    Bank of Baroda
    PNB
    Federal Bank
    Nestle
    Rallis India
    Hindalco
    Mangalam Cement
    Ambuja Cement
    Reliance Industries
    Coal India
    BHEL
    Tech Mahindra
    L&T
    Adani Ports
    Tata Power
    Amtek Auto
    ONGC
    Vedanta
    Sharon Bio
    Cairn
    PTC India Fin Svs
    DLF

I have recently acquired some shares of the following companies which I want to accumulate on every dip and want to keep them on long term basis:

Shilpa Medical
    Aurobindo Pharma
    Syngene
    Persistent Systems
    Infosys
    HCL Tech
    TCS
    Somany Ceramics
    CERA
    Marico
    Maruti
    Motherson Sumi
    Amara Raja Batteries
    Heritage Foods
    ITC
    ICICI Bank
    Axis Bank
    HDFC Bank

I will be very glad to receive your valuable comments and recommendations on the above.
    Regards,

2. San8422

San8422 Active Member

Disclaimer: I am neither a research analyst nor an Investment Advisor. Do your own research and/or consult financial consultant before acting on my advice.

You have too much exposure to banking. I think you should avoid investment in ICICI and Axis (Fear that they have classified NPA's as bad loans. Due to new RBI rules, they will be forced to classify these bad loans as NPA's leading to fall in share price). You can continue to invest in HDFC.

If there is not much loss then you may consider reducing exposure to Adani Port (huge debt).

Hold Cairn industries. See what happens to oil prices. If oil recovers (to $45 in 1 year or so) then Cairn will benefit due to better oil price (But Reliance may loose due to less profit margin).

If your outlook is long term (More than 2 years) then hold Reliance Industries. See how its new expansion plans (petcoke gasification plant at its refinery, refinery off-gas cracker in petrochemicals, polyester/aromatics capacity expansion and import of ethane (cracker feedstock) from US) and 4G performs. Then take a decision accordingly (Monitor regularly and be very careful). You can read more below: -

https://profit.ndtv.com/news/corpor...illion-capex-to-increase-profits-by-50-751118

Syngene and Amara Raja are good companies.

P.N. : - Your portfolio is very big. You need to do something about that.

All the best.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  3. Jaya Prakash

Jaya Prakash New Member

Thanks very much for your guidance. I will try to reduce my portfolio, but I feel it is possible only after the market recovers to some extent in order to reduce loss.

Meanwhile, I eagerly await guidance on other shares which I plan to hold on long term basis.

Thanks indeed.

4. ANITHA

ANITHA New Member

My thinking is that you may group the present holdings under sectoral basket. Then look at the prospects of the stocks u r holding vis-a-vis other similar sectoral stocks and do some switching. For example, SBI, PNB, BOB, Federal bank to be grouped under financial sector. Within this space the prospects of PNB r bleak. Though the stock is beaten down u may book losses and switch to either DCB or IDFC Bank which r also available at beaten down valuations with better growth opportunities. The loss that u book may help in tax planning. This way u can reduse the no. Of stocks u r holding and improve the overall portfolio outlook.

5. Jaya Prakash

Jaya Prakash New Member

Thank you Anitaji. I fully agree that I should reduce my portfolio even by booking losses. Thanks again for your time.

6. w4wealth

w4wealth Well-Known Member

i will hold these
    Rallis India
    Mangalam Cement
    Reliance Industries
    Coal India
    L&T
    Adani Ports
    Tata Power
    Sharon Bio
    PTC India Fin Svs
    Shilpa Medical 10-30%
    Aurobindo Pharma
    Syngene
    Somany Ceramics
    CERA
    Marico
    Maruti
    Amara Raja Batteries
    Heritage Foods 8-20%
    ICICI Bank
    Axis Bank
    HDFC Bank
    all the best @Jaya Prakash

7. San8422

San8422 Active Member

There is a lot of talk in the market about a pre-budget rally. I think that would be a great time to dump all the non performing or under performing shares. Also your losses will be minimized considerably.

8. Jaya Prakash

Jaya Prakash New Member

Thanks very much for your guidance. I truly appreciate your kind help.

9. Jaya Prakash

Jaya Prakash New Member

Yes, that would be a good opportunity to sell some of them. Thanks very much for the info.