ICICI Bank under performance may end in 2018_19

Discussion in 'Ask A Query About Your Stock Picks And Portfolio' started by kharb, Feb 27, 2017.

1. kharb

kharb Well-Known Member

Retail Banks had been firing on Dalal Street for many months and Corporate lenders are bleeding with NPA.But this story can not run for ever.In my view corporate lenders problems may reduce considerably in next 24 months.So in my view ICICI bank may be accumulated on corrections now onwards for decent returns .This is no recommendation for buying as usual ,as I am not a Qualified Registered Adviser but this post is for discussion on this form among members to get their views.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  2. w4wealth

w4wealth Well-Known Member

porinju recommended Lakshmi vilas bank. i think that is better than ICICI.

3. kharb

kharb Well-Known Member

These are in different categories. ICICI Bank is mega Cap.Large and Mega Cap are for only conservative investers like me .Small and mid cap are for aggressive investers,where one has to be extra smart and very informed to take entry or exit .In large cap most of information is in public domain.In small cap you must do your own research as most investers lose money in this class who work on tips,where operters buy stocks cheap and manipulate small investers to off load that junk at higher price.So for small cap I invest in micro and small cap murual funds.

4. kharb

kharb Well-Known Member

Slight pause in NPA will result into sharp upmove in ICICI bank,it has to be seen it will happen after this quarter results or it will take more time.

Thamizh likes this.
  5. kakalimaity

kakalimaity New Member

icici bank is looking good for 1 to 2 years view

kharb likes this.
  6. shakti khanduri

shakti khanduri Active Member

@ Mr kharb ,What parametrs you you consider crucial for analysing banking stocks. Kindly explain as you have done many times on my REQUEST.Thanks

Srouta Mukherjee likes this.
  7. Srouta Mukherjee

Srouta Mukherjee Well-Known Member

Good Question to ask Kharb sir. he is expert in bank stock :)

8. kharb

kharb Well-Known Member

In my view, worst year for ICICI bank has passed.This financial year 2017_2018 may show lower slippages.Year 2018 -2019 may show significant improvement.So now atleast bottom is in place and I don't expect it to go down below 250 even on a bad day if market decides to correct . ICICI bank will be firing with all cylinders in year 2018_19 from second half .Biggest strength of ICICI Bank is that it has more than 4850 Branches,so we can expect substantial jump in profit after one year .I see stock crossing 400 with in next two years .I hold the stock

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  9. shakti khanduri

shakti khanduri Active Member

In line with my hypothesis.Bonus has been anounced -- 1:10.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  10. RAMA MURTHY SASTRY CHALLA

RAMA MURTHY SASTRY CHALLA Well-Known Member

My portfolio is positive 1.06 % today because ICICI Bank 's spike

kharb likes this.
  11. w4wealth

w4wealth Well-Known Member

howard marks holds icici bank.

kharb likes this.
  12. kharb

kharb Well-Known Member

Out of Karnataka bank (old pvt sector bank) and ICICI Bank most modern biggest bank with around 5000 branches ((approx)both below price to book of two and under priced ,which will out perform in next two years out of these two .

13. RAMA MURTHY SASTRY CHALLA

RAMA MURTHY SASTRY CHALLA Well-Known Member

i like both ... but only one , i like KTK Bank more ....
    today i add 5 shares ICICI Bank for long term investment purpose

14. starry_eyes

starry_eyes Member

So it's the number of branches and global footprint (if you could provide details of its global operations) that are the drivers of this elephant is it?

What level do you cap one year forward price target at for ICICI?

I picked up 500 two days ago in anticipation of this short term spike. Otherwise I am not a great fan of ICICI in its current state

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  15. kharb

kharb Well-Known Member

I don't know exactly so just guessing ,you pl Google it,may be 11 in different countries.My expectation of price is in previous post .NRI business of those countries and Indian companies doing business with those countries or companies of those countries doing business in India may find some utility of these branches, although most of profitablity and Business for this Bank will come from India.So overseas business can not be criteria for investment in this bank.You seems to be Banking Expert:)

16. starry_eyes

starry_eyes Member

I think so too... No indian bank has a global footprint to speak about.

Also what do you think about the future of 'branch banking'

Missed your earlier post wherein you gave a forward price estimate. Thanks for the view.

Am hoping the new NPA framework will provide another short-term spike when I may just sell my latest purchase.

17. kharb

kharb Well-Known Member

You r banking expert :) .I can not coment on future of Branch banking .I had heard lot about this from IDFC bank management but I have to see it's stock performance:) ,U know .Better you comment :)

18. starry_eyes

starry_eyes Member

Widely acknowledged expert in here is you sir and not me. My stock investing experience will be 3 years this June. So like global footprint of Indian bank's - nothing to talk about.

Look forward to you continuing views

19. kharb

kharb Well-Known Member

I am not from commerce or banking back ground,so nothing like expertise in Banking but I never do FD in banks,I buy pvt bank stocks . From your posts,I know U r definitely Banking Expert:).

20. Bankim

Bankim New Member

ICICI is looking good. Esp. after NPA resolution being looked at by Arun Jaitley.

However, I jumped from ICICI to Karnataka Bank just month ago. Booked my losses with ICICI. My patience with Chanda Kochhar ran out. Lost around 20%. My broker was hesitant with regards to sell ICICI, but when I informed him that I wanted park with Karnataka bank, he was positive. But that is my personal opinion. Shifting to Karnataka Bank was a better move keeping the next 3-4 years. Made 17.5% in a month by doing so.

But there is no doubt that the worst is behind for ICICI. They are bound to do well.

kharb likes this.