Gruh Finance

Discussion in 'Ask A Query About Your Stock Picks And Portfolio' started by ssharma, Apr 18, 2015.

1. ssharma

ssharma New Member

Is it a good time to accumulate Gruh? Results are good but stock has gone down quite a bit.

2. Parin Gala

Parin Gala A long term investor

Gruh is one of the fav picks of veterans like Basant maheshwari etc. I was recently watching his interview with Nikunj Dalmia on ET Now and he said Gruh is the only company which has grown @ 30% and he does not remember any company from that sector which has grown that much. He still likes Gruh. You can watch the video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDa7C3m5_Kk

Happy Investing !!

3. Meenakshi Razdan

Meenakshi Razdan Administrator Staff Member Moderator

I think a question like this cannot be answered in the abstract but should be answered in the context of the stock's prospects, valuations and alternatives.

There is no doubting the quality of the company and the pedigree of the management. However, this is priced in because the stock is quoting at a P/E of 43x and a P/BV of 14x. The stock has gone down because its quarterly results are not able to match the expectations necessary to maintain the valuations.

If the stock does not match expectations in the future as well, one can expect price correction or time correction (i.e. the price will remain stagnant till the earnings catch up to make the P/E, P/BV look more reasonable).

The stock has under-performed its peers. Gruh is up 47% on a 1 year basis. However, Repco is up 69%, GIC Housing is up 98%, Dewan Housing is up 101% and CanFin Homes is up 210%. The under-performance continues if you broaden the sample size to include other NBFCs like Bajaj Finance, etc.

So, I think the question that requires to be considered is that if you have to allocate capital and there are a number of contenders for that, why do we choose a particular stock. It must have something special that the others lack.

If quality of the stock is of paramount consideration, then one can choose top-tier stocks like HDFC Bank and Gruh. However, one must be prepared to accept some under-performance. If one is prepared to lower the quality standards a bit, then there are a host of other contenders which may offer better performance.

4. Satpat

Satpat New Member

Thanks Meenakshi for the thoughtful answer!

I am thinking of entering into NBFCs for long term(2-5+ Years). Repco seems to be good. Basant Maheshwari and Motilal Oswal(MOST-35 Multicap has it) seem to like this. Some stocks mentioned in the previous post performed very well recently. Do you think they will have enough steam for the long haul? If I have to pick 3 stocks now for the long term(5+) which stocks would you pick...

Thanks for your time!

5. Srouta Mukherjee

Srouta Mukherjee Well-Known Member

Repco, Dewan and Capital First. That is my choice.

6. Satpat

Satpat New Member

Thanks! Haven't heard much about Capital First. Would like to understand your thought process on these picks. What would be your splits if I have to invest 100... :)