Did you buy the stocks of the products you use??

Discussion in 'Must-Read Interviews, Articles & News Items' started by jewelma, Nov 21, 2015.

1. jewelma

jewelma New Member

2. darth

darth Active Member

Common sense......and additionally

I buy the products of stocks i hold

3. w4wealth

w4wealth Well-Known Member

i like hero honda - bikes
    maruti - cars

4. darth

darth Active Member

I suppose you mean Hero Motocorp.

Both are Ace picks and i hold both - though Honda's undermining cant be ignored

5. w4wealth

@kharb sir can you give us some detail on ipo s of hero and maruti in 1980's?

6. kharb

kharb Well-Known Member

Yes I know those foolish time of mine.Hero Honda was having long waiting list for buyers of bikes,people buying bikes in black market in case of urgency.But Hero Honda stock was at Rs 18 most of the time like Bata shoes fix price,only once it hit 60 those time to come again in 20 ese.Even in those time people use to buy third grade stocks on tips by news papers or private tips etc.Although Capital market magazine has been brilliant even on those time and recommended only QUALITY stocks but always ignored by fools like me.Similar is story of Maruti,But it was more recent than Hero Honda.More over Maruti was availble at around 1000 probably three years back during strike at Manesar.I have missed many easy bus in life.Last such story was Bharti Airtel.Stock was offered in IPO around 40 ,went down sharply to 24.I just wanted to wait and see,it went up sharply to 29.Some one asked me how much this stock can go up.I said in four figures. Then he said why we should not buy,I told him to wait for correction as it has gone up from 24 to 29 sharply.That never happened,I lost 970 rupee journey to save 5 rupees.These story happens.But most of the time we miss like Hero Honda story or Air tell story.The first story I successfuly ride was L&T FPO at Rs 60 in 1989 and last was Yes bank..But due to increase in reach of Media and information technology, now permoters has become smart.In older times Indigo could have been a good story as it would have certainly offered share in three digits ,leaving the story to us.Now story is with permoters and big investers. Actually Relince Power changed all this ,when ADAG group come out with IPO at 300 plus,when it should have been at around 50 rs.This not only crushes his investers but also made permoters more greedy.Now there is also demand supply gap.Good Quality offerings are small but demand is huge,leaving nothing on table to investers .You know ,past has been always easy,becuase of presence of many fools like me .Now it is highly competitive stock market,it is not easy to make money.Mostly stocks are priced to perfection or even more.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  7. Srouta Mukherjee

Srouta Mukherjee Well-Known Member

Story continues today

I made same mistake earlier

Very Very sad story. Very depressing. It is matter of "NASEEB" (LUCK). I also lost lot of money this way by not taking opportunities :(

8. darth

darth Active Member

So start looking for what people today struggle for? The years to come easing the current struggle stands a good chance. History repeatedly tells us this. Remember the blackmarket for cement, the waiting list for landlines and gas connections, asking relatives abroad for a wrangler or a levis or an adidas shoe or like kharb said waiting list for cars and bikes....

Ideas invited on this.... For me electricity, roads, affordable housing and education should figure in today's struggles

w4wealth and Srouta Mukherjee like this.
  9. Srouta Mukherjee

Srouta Mukherjee Well-Known Member

This is definitely key. Stocks like Ashiana Housing, DHFL, Repco, HSIL, Cera will do well in long term because of brand image and reputation and good management also.

10. New_Investor

New_Investor Active Member

I use colgate (colgate), Parachute Hair Oil (Marico), Bata Shoes (Bata), dabur chyawanprash (Dabur), vip innerwear (Maxwell), lifebuoy soap (HUL), Gillete shaving cream and blade (Gillete), Marie Buiscuit (Brittania), BP LPG Gas (BPCL), canara bank (canara bank). I hold these stocks.
    I use gemini brand oil (Cargill). Cargill and Vodafone are not listed companies.

11. New_Investor

New_Investor Active Member

12. w4wealth

Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge @kharb sir. I liked your open mindedness and simplicity.
    I read somewhere that hero honda in 1988 was 24 crore market cap company. if somebody invested at that time what would have been the returns? congratulations on your success on
    L& T . what has been the Mcap of L&T in 1989?
    Sir my humble opinion is that for getting maximum return in long term investing one should hold it very long say in L&T it is already 26 years if you still hold it. i would say same should be hold for other 10 years if you can.
    Your airtel story is very sad.But gives a very strong lesson in markets.once again thankyou sir for sharing and enlighting us.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  13. w4wealth

I think vodafone from the list comng with ipo

14. kharb

kharb Well-Known Member

To eat Vada Pav may be better idea then buying Vodafone or any telecom stock .I have Bharti Airltel ,Idea in portfolio, thinking of opprtunity to getting out of Airtel Bharti first .Telcom are now just other type of utility players ,are not better than other utility stocks like NTPC .Members are requested to share if they think Bharti or Vodafone or Telecom are better investment idea.

Srouta Mukherjee likes this.
  15. shakti khanduri

shakti khanduri Active Member

KINDLY SUGGEST THE LESSON LEARNED in simple words.

16. w4wealth

OK thats a good idea. when did you bought these stocks? now or earlier? did your investments in these co.s is profitable? if this is successful strategy to follow i am interested to look into that.:D

17. w4wealth

sir i think airtel and vodafone can be a good play on increase in data usage on whatsapp and other social media apps. it is expected to have 20 crore smart phone in india now and by 2020 it can be 75 crore . so it is quite a good bet. but NTPC is also good as you said.

18. kharb

kharb Well-Known Member

Quality has been and would be king in all time to come.Never ignore stock of a company ,which is setting new trend with large pull of product continuously creating new market or eating market share of old leaders with positive bottom line.If you are convinced about story of a stock ,no fun in waiting for a correction of 5 to 10%.More over Learning is always a Work in Progress.

shakti khanduri and w4wealth like this.
  19. w4wealth

@darth I like the education sector very much. MT Educare is there.

20. darth

darth Active Member

The list would be huge......

There is Honda Motorcycles, Samsung India, Sony India, Cargill, pharma names like Intas, Mankind, Famy Care, Endurance Technologies and ofcourse the untested but flavour of all venture capitalists our own desi Alibaba's

w4wealth likes this.