Investment strategy of Porinju Veliyath.

Discussion in 'Stock Picks Of Wizards' started by shakti khanduri, Nov 28, 2015.

1. kharb

kharb Well-Known Member

I fully agree,every one need to devolope his own style.You can not benefit ,till you devolope some style ,which gives you return.In my earlier stage from 1989 to till CCI was there I use to apply in IPOs.But I use to hold all for long term.I see that many of them were not giving good returns in long run.Then I changed my style,to sell at allotment and only hold on to blue chips that worked better till CCI was abolished.After that IPO becomes risky and many started opening below offering price.Then I started buy small ticket size stocks being recommended by many small news papers like Money,Premium ,Dalal street .I started losing money by following tips or news based buying.After that I started to invest in large cap and blue chip stocks across sectors. After long term I could see holding cyclical is not good.I could not make money in Tata steel even after a decade. After that I changed my style to invest in Quality Stocks with good fundamentals blue chip leaders or branded plays excluding metal , commodity ,cyclical stocks as this Catagry is not good for buy and hold.I stopped investing in any PSU after a wrong investment in Central Bank of India on recommendation of Raamdev Aggarwal of Motilal oswal,but I would not blame him as I was convinced with his logic.But now I am happy to forget that loss as fee for my learning to stay away from PSU ,although I missed large rally of BPCL ,HPCL,IOC etc during crude downfall play.But I am sure this is a small loss which will be compensated by not investing in other PSUs.I buy mid caps but very selectively, but regularly invest in small mid cap through small mid cap funds as this catagry requires lot of follow up ,research and fast information system. .I listen to all investment Gurus and their ideas, buy only if it suits my style or some endorsement of my idea already on radar and is a very long term story for minimum three five years.I am most happy to buy stocks which I can hold for decades .More over I would love to buy stocks which if goes down become buying opportunity to invest further.I am never worried if HDFC bank,Asian paints,HUL etc goes down.Then my job of investing becomes easy and I need not to search any where else for further investment.If you can not invest further in any stock of your portfolio after it is down,you need to review that stock.I want to be at complete peace and sound sleep with my portfolio.Let the management of compnies of my portfolio do the hard work and I enjoy their fruits for my better life.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
    shakti khanduri likes this.
  2. New_Investor

New_Investor Active Member

Rightly said. But not only "act should be your own" even responsibility. You should be responsible for your actions. You cannot blame any analyst, broking house, advisor, expert etc for your actions which failed to give you expected results.

3. shakti khanduri

shakti khanduri Active Member

Synopsis of thesis on successful investment journey in progress .Wisdom simplified in brief .

4. anindyaswati

anindyaswati Member

No i ,m studying this person long enough to say, he doesn't pump dump.he holds long enough for retail investor to sell.inside information or not he is an astute stock picker.i will be glad enough if i get 10% of his stock picking abilities.

yes he hipes his holding by media statement,but what else u expect? everybody here is to earn money.and if a simple statement like 'website looks good' can lift a stock then whats wrong in it.if we havent done our home work then we are idiots not investor

yembee likes this.
  5. Sai ace

Sai ace New Member

Guys do any one of you know recent hotel stock bought by porinju veliyath sir please help me

6. New_Investor

I donot know about Mr. Porinju's pick. But today EIH, EIH Associated Hotel holding, Indian Hotel were in demand.

7. New_Investor

In an interview with Sonia Shenoy and Latha Venkatesh on CNBC-TV18, Mr. Porinju Veliyanth made the following statements :

"I always talk investors, be price sensitive. Even if you are trying to plan somebody or of somebody is recommending on the television, or whatever research report you are reading, do not just go up and hear the stock name and go and buy at any price. It is very wrong. It is not that kind of a bullish structure we are going through. So, please be price sensitive and value sensitive. Then only there is a margin of safety, when you invest in the equities."

I think all the allegations made by members in this thread have been cleared.

8. New_Investor

Mr. Porinju Veliyath is interested in Oriental Hotel.

9. Parin Gala

Parin Gala A long term investor

There are lots of so called 'star investors' like Porinju today in our markets. Everyone has his/her own investing style.
    In my opinion you should watch everyone's stock picks and activities and then take your own call whether you are able to develop conviction in that particular stock or not.
    Also, never buy any stock blindly just because a so called star investor has bought into it. That investor will dump his shares quitely. (Look at how Dolly Khanna sold Hawkins)
    I personally follow a very simple strately while watching the news about the purchases of these star investors. Its "suno sab ki, karo khud ki"
    No harm in following news about Porunju or Dolly. But we must buy only those stocks on which we have conviction and then be ready to face the consequences whatever they may be.

Srouta Mukherjee likes this.
  10. New_Investor

Please check the following link for Bandwagon effect behavior :
    https://tbng.co.in/blog/2015/12/18/bandwagon-effect/
    This article answers all the allegations made above.

upload_2015-12-26_20-13-52.png
    As Parin Gala said "suno sab ki, karo khud ki". Don't do "the same thing or take the same decision as everyone else is."

Srouta Mukherjee likes this.