Portfolio review and suggestions

Discussion in 'Ask A Query About Your Stock Picks And Portfolio' started by G_One, Jun 16, 2016.

1. G_One

G_One Member

Hello all

This is my first post here and I must admit that I have been a stalker of this forum from quite a while. I entered the world of equities 2 days back and below are my current holdings. I would like to hold them for long term and may be review once a quater. I would like to know suggestions on the picks and if I need to weed out any of these.

Alstom T&D 27 - Engineering
    AVT Natural 311 - Miscellaneous
    BPCL 20 - Oil & Gas
    DCB Bank 105 -Banking/Finance
    Granules India 71 -Pharmaceuticals
    Motherson Sumi 35 -Automotive
    Natco Pharma 9 -Pharmaceuticals
    PI Industries 15 - Chemicals
    Transport Corp 50 -Services (Will add 25 more tomorrow if price is below 304)

Will be slowly adding around 6K per month on these shares depending on the price for the corresponding month. Please do share your views and recommendations .

Cheers
    G1

Srouta Mukherjee likes this.
  2. Srouta Mukherjee

Srouta Mukherjee Well-Known Member

These are very good stocks IMHO. I have TCI, PII and Granules in portfolio. Excellent stocks with good prospects. AVT Natural I am not sure because green tea is not moat product even though Co has high Roe and good management but stock has not delivered over years. Alstom will do well in T&D space. Motherson is expensive stock at 30PE. Also Europe is big market for the stock. I think upside is limited because of high PE. Shift to Tata Motor or Ashok Leyland is better in auto space?

BPCL is compounder stock and not multibagger stock. Better to go for blue chip midcap stock like Century Ply, CAPF, DHFL, Repco IMHO.

G_One likes this.
  3. G_One

G_One Member

Thank you for your feedback.

I am holding onto BPCL and plan to keep it for long for the following reasons. There is a bonus issue coming as well and the consistent dividend yields. Till Crude oil is below managable range, it should be in profit.

Motherson: They have a good base in EU and I guess the best bet in auto ancillary space. Brings a little stability as well I believe to the portfolio. I somehow am not convinced at tata motors and will consider it after a relook.

AVT, I plan to exit post monsoon results as good rains are expected this year and good crops may prove good for the company.

Had century ply in the list of stocks I was watching, I will probably be buying it in dips in future.

Any thoughts on Tata global beverages. I was quite interested by Subex talks around the internet. Any suggestions on Subex as a possible turnaround story?

Cheers
    G1

4. Srouta Mukherjee

Strategy is good. BPCL is solid compounder stock with good franchise and moat. It is safe blue chip. Other stocks are also of v. good quality. Tata Global is a disappointing stock. No much growth over years how this will change in the future? Better to go for stocks which are giving returns in past and will continue in future. Century Ply is excellent stock IMHO. Subex I have not studied. I will study it.

G_One likes this.
  5. w4wealth

w4wealth Well-Known Member

dont try turnaroud ideas as you are newcomer. go for good, stable, long term picks that will give you 20%.

6. G_One

G_One Member

Thank you for the suggestions, I guess I will hold on to these stocks for a while and may be review after a quarter to check how they are doing . Will add Century Ply in dips as well.

Cheers
    G1

7. Srouta Mukherjee

Very sensible strategy if money is compounding at 20% tax-free Rs. 100 become Rs. 249 in 5 year and Rs. 619 in 10 years and Rs. 3834 in 20 year (!).

This means that Rs.10 L today becomes Rs. 3.83 crore in 20 years.

Important point in investment is to avoid making mistake Charlie Munger said. If sensible investment is there in sensible stocks without taking risk of loss of capital we can become very very rich.

G_One and w4wealth like this.
  8. kharb

kharb Well-Known Member

I like DCB

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    G_One likes this.
  9. G_One

G_One Member

Did a lot of searching and pruning to get to the list. Now seeing things going down , there is restlessness. First timer syndrome I guess :p Have decided not to touch anything for a while.

Cheers
    G1

10. Srouta Mukherjee

You have v. good portfolio. Better put new money in same stocks instead of looking fresh ones. Wait at least 4 quarter results and you will know which stock is better than others in portfolio.

G_One likes this.
  11. Srouta Mukherjee

Dont look at stock price going up or down because stock quality cannot depend on prices. Look at earnings from Q to Q and year to year. Is that increasing or not. If EPS is going up and price is down it is v. good because stock is cheaper and buy more can be there. You must only always look at earnings of stocks and not at stock price according to W Buffett.

G_One likes this.
  12. G_One

G_One Member

I sold off AVT and AlstomT&D as I was not comfortable on future prospects of these 2 stocks and added more TCI and Natco pharma when markets tanked. Got Natco pharma at 518 levels and it already covered the loss of 500 odd I took from AVT and Alstom. Now I guess I am convinced on my portfolio and will keep these without any changes. :)

13. Ajayyan

Ajayyan New Member

TATA Global is good for porinju and he is promoting this stock by all means he can, by using the advantage of social media. Not only this stock but many third quality stocks as well. lnvestors should avoid TATA global

G_One likes this.
  14. Srouta Mukherjee

It is blue chip stock but not in favour because of Patanjali threat and also because results are very moderate.

15. Srouta Mukherjee

Good decision. Natco is excellent stock for portfolio.

G_One likes this.
  16. RAMA MURTHY SASTRY CHALLA

RAMA MURTHY SASTRY CHALLA Well-Known Member

your portfolio reflects you are a high risk apatite investor ..all are midcap stocks , portfolio size is good and good diversification
    ALL THE BEST

G_One likes this.
  17. G_One

G_One Member

Hello Sir,

Thanks for your time. As you mentioned, I want to take some risks at this point of time so that I can generate good returns. I do have debt investments for emergency and this portfolio is for pure growth. Again being new to equity market, I dont want to invest in penny stocks or multibaggers and would like to save the capital, which is why I picked these mid caps which are fairly large. I hope they serve me well in the long run. :)

Cheers
    G1

18. Srouta Mukherjee

Very good decision. These are v. good blue chip stocks with high RoE and good management.

G_One likes this.
  19. G_One

G_One Member

Thanks Srouta ji. This forum has been of great help in picking these and I must say I have read through a lot of your messages along with Rama murthy , Kharb, Darth and bholu s posts. Very informative and helpful for a first timer. :)

Cheers
    G1

20. G_One

G_One Member

Current Stocks after all pruning and buying when market tanked out:

PIIND 15
    MOTHERSUMI 70
    NATCOPHARM 47
    GRANULES 109
    DCBBANK 105
    BPCL 20
    TCI 100
    SUZLON 175
    RECLTD 35
    JBCHEMPHARMA 36

Stock market is addictive, and checking prices is becoming a very bad habit. I wish to stay away for a while and stop looking at things :p

Cheers
    G1