Request feedback regarding holdings in portfolio

Discussion in 'Ask A Query About Your Stock Picks And Portfolio' started by white5, May 8, 2015.

1. white5

white5 New Member

Hello
    I have following stocks under my portfolio. I request feedback from members about plus or downside, required holding period if any
    Name % of holding
    1. Ambika cotton mills 0.09
    2. APL Apollo 0.05
    3. Bajaj Hind 0.02
    4. Freshtrop Fruits 0.01
    5. Geojit BNP Paribas 0.01
    6. Godavari Drugs 0.01
    7. Gujarat Themis Biosyn 0.01
    8. Indag Rubber 0.09
    9. Indo Borax Chemicals 0.04
    10. Kitex Garments 0.05
    11. Lupin Limited 0.11
    12. Man Infraconstruction 0.01
    13. Mangalam Drugs 0.01
    14. Marksans Pharma 0.01
    15. Mayur Uniquoters 0.06
    16. MIC Electronics 0.01
    17. Neuland Labs 0.05
    18. Palred Tech Ltd 0.01
    19. Prima Plastic 0.01
    20. Sesa Sterlite 0.02
    21. Sunteck Realty 0.03
    22. Suzlon Energy 0.01
    23. Swaraj Engines 0.10
    24. Tv18 Broadcast 0.01
    25. Vidhi Dyestuff 0.01
    26. Vinati Organics 0.06
    27. Welspun India 0.05

I know I have long list majority of the shares I bought is after due research and fundamentals study. Few of them based on market trends and some based on stock advisor recommendations. Currently my portfolio is in red by a small fraction amount. Reason for my portfolio to be in red is Lupin purchase. I dont know If I should I sell and take loss and invest elsewhere or HOLD.

I am planning to buy shares of Asahi Songwon & Sudarshan Chemicals. I tried to be as much diversified but I am more inclined towards pharma sector. I need member's advise regarding my holdings and future purchase.

thanks in advance to all who responds.

2. Meenakshi Razdan

Meenakshi Razdan Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Hmmm, this does not appear to be your entire portfolio, going by the percentages of holdings.

I can spot a few stocks that I am not familiar with: Freshtrop Fruits, Godavari Drugs, MIC Electronics, Palred Tech Ltd, Vidhi Dyestuff etc. Are you confident about these companies or have you bought them just like that.

I think the amounts that you have allocated to many stocks is too low (0.01%) for it to have any meaning. I suspect that this suggests that you have no confidence in the stock but are just "trying" it out.

My suggestion is that instead of "spraying" your money all over and buying all sorts of (junk and non-junk) stocks, it would be better to invest in a few companies in which you have high conviction.

If you are unable to develop conviction by your own research (nothing to be embarrassed about) it is best to rely on the Model Portfolios prepared by leading brokerages.

In an earlier post, i pointed out that several Model Portfolios (such as those prepared by Share Khan, Edelweiss, ICICI-Direct, IndiaNivesh) have put up an impressive performance with as much as 35% CAGR over five years.

I suggest you study the Model Portfolios closely and understand the rationale behind why a stock is recommended. Then, clone the one that appeals to you the most and stick with it.

I am sure this strategy will yield much better returns than buying stocks in a random manner, based on all sorts of dubious tips and recommendations.

Dreamer1214 and moat investor like this.
  3. bholu

bholu Active Member

you really have too many stocks in your portfolio...as Meenakshi said (both junk and non-junk )...unless the absolute amounts invested is very high I don't think investing in undervalued, unknown stock will be profitable...also when you invest in these type of stocks keep a rational behind your investments...it may work, it may not but its always better to have a ground than simply take a punt..for e.g. I invested in Bajaj Auto , by no means an unknown stock but it appeared undervalued compared to Hero and TVS with sound balance sheet, good management and a strong brand value...unfortunately it grossly under performed the market ..after 2 quarters at March end I looked at the stock again, I noticed falling sales domestically, and falling exports and increasing competition ...I concluded that despite being a good stock it seems that Bajaj may not be able outperform the market, and its better to reallocate my capital (of course I may end up horribly wrong but looking at the facts this is the decision I made)...therefore always looks the particulars of the stock when you invest

4. ks sankhala

ks sankhala New Member

5. ks sankhala

ks sankhala New Member

I AM FOLLOWING A COMPANY NAMED AS SUZLON ENERGY,COMING OUT OF RED. LET US SEE ITS QUATERLY RESULTS ON 31 JULY 2015.MOST LIKELY IF IT IS ABLE TO DELIVER 1100 MW IN THIS FY 16 THEN BREAK EVEN IS POSSIBLE.THERE AFTER IN FY 17 IT CAN BECOME PROFITABLE.