loophole in stock mkt ? Invest in Zee Learn ltd at 50% discount to its current market price

Discussion in 'Ask A Query About Your Stock Picks And Portfolio' started by Definate, May 9, 2016.

?

Will you buy tree house education

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. no

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Definate

Definate Member

Conversation between two friends, Arjun and Krish, who are interested in stock market:

Arjun: I have been wanting to invest in Education sector in India and I have been exploring stocks in this sector. I am analyzing Zee Learn Ltd which runs Kidzee (preschool), Mount Litera (preschool and K12 school network), Zee Institute of Creative Arts (ZICA, classical and digital animation training academy) and Zee Institute of Media Arts (ZIMA, TV and film training institute). I have looked into their website, company presentation, financials and annual report 2015. What do you think about Zee Learn Ltd? Do you think it’s a good buy?

Krish: You know me; I will not tell you if a particular stock is a good buy or not. You will have to do your own analysis because investing based on borrowed conviction will not do good. However, you should also analyze Tree House Education and Accessories Ltd if you are analyzing Zee Learn because Tree House is getting merged with Zee Learn Ltd subject to approval by shareholders, creditors and regulatory authorities.

Arjun: That’s a good point. Thanks. I will analyze Tree House as well. By the way, what is the share exchange ratio for the merger of Tree House with Zee Learn?

Krish: If the merger is approved, every 10 shares of Tree House will fetch 53 shares of Zee Learn. Refer Zee Learn’s outcome of board meeting dated 23rd December 2015 for more information.

Arjun: Is there some information to understand the valuation at which Zee Learn is buying into Tree House?

Krish: You could go through this article – Merger with Zee Learn: Tree House investors get raw deal

Arjun: The article indicates that Tree House investors did not get a good deal, which may be interpreted as – Zee Learn shareholders got a good deal. By the way, I noticed that current market price (CMP) of Zee Learn is 30.7 and that of Tree House is 81.05. Tree House shares have fallen drastically from around 200 level to a low of around 75 level from the time the merger was announced. Assuming that the merger of Tree House with Zee Learn is approved, how does the math workout to buying Zee Learn vs Tree House?

Krish: Every 10 shares of Tree House will fetch 53 shares of Zee Learn subject to approval. 10 shares of Tree House at current market price (CMP) of Rs. 81.05 will cost Rs. 810.5 whereas 53 shares of Zee Learn at CMP of Rs. 30.7 will cost Rs. 1627.1. That’s a price discount of Rs. 816.6 (1627.1 minus 810.5) which is 49.8% discount.

Arjun: I did the math again and I see that you are right. So, buying Tree House shares could provide 50% discount on Zee Learn shares. In other words, Zee Learn shares can be bought indirectly at 50% discount by buying Tree House shares. Mathematically, it’s like buying Zee Learn shares at around Rs. 15 instead of buying it at its current market price of 30.7 . If I buy into Tree House shares and if the merger is approved, it would result in 100% profit if Zee Learn is quoting at Rs. 30 after the merger is approved.

2. Definate

Definate Member

Zee Learn Board meet on 13 may 2016

3. calmbreeze

calmbreeze New Member

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  4. calmbreeze

calmbreeze New Member