1. K.Mahesh

K.Mahesh New Member

Ha Ha @ Bombay Boy! ...True ....Resilience will always be expected from us investors!! Will look at GAIL & Gujrat Gas....
    Marksans after the recent drubbing looks attractive...
    @Srouta would be the best judge of the pharma stocks in the list....
    @RMSC Sir, ..waiting for your views....
    Adding ...Adani Ports & Sez , SBI, Torrent, HCL tech on every decline....SJVN also on radar...

2. BombayBoy

BombayBoy Well-Known Member

i've NHPC since IPO, never looked at it, might add SJVN - but in alternative energy, i'm looking at Suzlon for a good turnaround bet

not touching any pharma

you tag them like this - @Srouta Mukherjee @K.Mahesh - but can't assure of a reply

bought 50 Max India today, also purchased GujGas but forgot to select CNC while placing order (Zerodha) - got squared off :p

3. K.Mahesh

K.Mahesh New Member

@BombayBoy ....Yup Suzlon...was on radar but with low crude oil prices guess went off everyone's fancy..
    Any record date announced for Max India Demerger.?
    @Srouta Mukherjee Ji: Your views on Marksans ....Morepen a turnaround story too?

4. w4wealth

w4wealth Well-Known Member

Buying Max India[/QUOTE]
    @BombayBoy are you bullish on pvt insurers? why?

5. BombayBoy

Mahesh - I'm afraid today was the last day that Max India traded in its current avatar.

Suzlon will benefit from lower crude prices because logistics is a big cost. The debt situation is improving, FCCB will be converted into equity. Dilip Shanghvi is invested, gives good comfort. Solar business will complement the existing business. Hybrid is the way ahead. @darth started a thread, we can take up discussion on Suzlon there.

@w4wealth Insurance sector in India
    Elpro is another play on life insurance, has a 12.7% equity in PNB MetLife

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    K.Mahesh likes this.
  6. w4wealth

thanks for info. max india is into life insuarace and health ins.? do you think that pvt insurers will take away market share from LIC? is that the reason.

7. BombayBoy

yes, Max has a life insurance and a health insurance business - different entities

i don't think, i know they have made a dent in the life insurance pie which was a monopoly of LIC of India

health insurance - rising healthcare costs - i think there's definitely a market there, though i'm insured with LT Insurance & Aegon Religare - only started last year

you could look up the holding companies of south based business groups - Cholamandalam, Shriram & TTK

8. w4wealth

so lic is clearly losing market share. so max india can be a good bet.

9. New_Investor

New_Investor Active Member

Sorry Sroutaji. I differ. You cannot forget your losses and start fresh. You have to recover your loss (but keep your mind cool). Offcourse, you should not try to recover your loss in a hurry. For eg. If you make a loss of say Rs. 1,000/= today, you should not tell yourself that you have to recover the 1,000/= tomorrow anyhow. No. Even if you are able to make a gain of Rs. 500/= tomorrow and again a gain of Rs. 500/= day after tomorrow. Your loss of Rs. 1,000/= is regained. Just because you lost 1,000/= in 1 day, you try to recover the loss in 1 day, you may make more loss.

If I make a loss just because of a very foolish mistake, I cannot keep on thinking how I could make such a foolish mistake. It is ok. It happens, most of the time, due to tension/ hurry/ anxiety etc.. I have to forget and move on. I have to think how can I recover the loss. I have to take care that I do not repeat the mistake.

10. K.Mahesh

K.Mahesh New Member

11. BombayBoy

for the firangis, yes, with the change in interest rates back home and $ appreciation against EM currencies - a lot changes, hot money flys out of EMs

for 1.3 billion play - "value investors" jumping in like there's no tomorrow or if it's like Flipkart's "The Big Billion Day", must state that I'm not a "value investor" - maybe classify as duds/speculation trader

GujGas hit ₹599, closed ↑4%

Engineers India 10% sale via OFS on 29 Jan, 2016

I'm thinking of becoming an explorer citing ignorance as the reason.

K.Mahesh likes this.
  12. K.Mahesh

K.Mahesh New Member

True! Mind Boggling Valuations of the new start ups & funding still keeps pouring in for Business models with no visible profits!!!(Flipkart as you mentioned,OyO Rooms,Zomato to name a view).
    Domestic Investors have been soaking in the FII selling..& historically they have profited from such a move...at least on most occasions..so keeping an optimistic view in that sense...challenge will be to pick the right stocks & sectors. My view is that a churning of sectors& stocks is inevitable..and that a new set of stocks will lead the next big upmove...Most of these stocks would have already started this journey ..its up to us to separate the winners from the duds! & not chase 52 week lows

13. BombayBoy

Mahesh - results season, interesting to see if the value investors are still flocking to buy Syndicate Bank post Q3 results in expectation of dividend.

The names you mentioned are all unicorns. And Venture Capital, Private Equity. Beyond our fantasies - unless one of those mails we receive - $100 million lottery, somebody bequeathing their fortune to us - were true ;)

Domestic Institutional Investors can only soak it till they run out of cash. The public isn't going to keep pumping in money in a bad market. Next up-move will be the same game with new players - new sector/cos. Like pharma and IT in the last one.

I've decided to stick with what I know from a decade ago and something that I can understand, not chasing any of the stories we hear on fancied sites. Been like 6 months now since getting back to the markets and it's interesting so far.

Thinking of going with some index ETFs

Engineers India OFS tomorrow - Jan 29, 2016

K.Mahesh likes this.
  14. BombayBoy

have bought in Engineers India OFS - will have to wait for confirmation

Srouta Mukherjee likes this.
  15. Srouta Mukherjee

Srouta Mukherjee Well-Known Member

Eil is play on oil and gas then I is it not better to play direct oil and gas like ongc or selan.

16. Srouta Mukherjee

Srouta Mukherjee Well-Known Member

I found research report on Engineers India with TP of Rs. 240:

ENGINEERS INDIA LTD (EIL)
    PRICE: RS.211 RECOMMENDATION: BUY
    TARGET PRICE: RS.240 FY17E P/E: 14.7X

EIL management expects deferment in key order flows in domestic
    hydrocarbon business. However, lower crude oil price auger well for
    major oil companies (upstream and downstream) which could potentially
    lead to business upturn. India's stance of upgrading to BS-VI compliant
    norms would likely benefit the company in the medium to long term.
    At the current price, company's stock looks attractively valued on a
    discounted cash flow basis. We maintain BUY rating on company's stock
    with a DCF based unchanged target price of Rs.240.

Company Highlights

We interacted with the management of EIL to get a perspective on the overall
    business environment unfolding in the domestic and overseas markets. Below
    are the key highlights of our interaction.

Domestic market expected to remain sluggish in the near term; order
    booking is expected to pick up in FY17/FY18

Management believes that order booking/margins have bottomed out in the domestic
    business but pace of recovery could be slower. We have earlier anticipated
    pickup in hydrocarbon capex in 2HFY16-FY17 which appears to be less
    achievable in the near term. We believe that major recovery should follow
    through 2HFY17-FY18.

Management has stated that as of now India has achieved less than the 50% of
    XII five year plan capacity addition targets. However various players in Indian
    hydrocarbon industry (both upstream and downstream) are likely to benefit from
    low oil prices (as India is net importer of crude oil) in the long run. Strengthened
    financial health of OMCs augers well for EIL's business.

Also, recently oil ministry has shared its ambitious plans of upgrading current
    refineries to Bharat Stage-VI standards directly from current Bharat Stage IV levels.
    Government has envisaged an investment of Rs 600 Bn for the up gradation
    of two thirds of current refineries in India.

We highlight that as per earlier roadmap, BS-V and BS-VI were scheduled for
    implementation in 2022 and 2014 respectively. However, government has recently
    unveiled its consideration for skipping BS-V and target to achieve BS-VI
    compliant technology by 2020. We believe that if auto industry could smoothly
    transit to BS-VI, there could be immense up gradation in the refinery sector. We
    also note that the current refining capacity of India stands at 230 mta vis-à-vis
    consumption of 165 mta. Therefore, to target exports markets OMCs would
    likely expedite the up gradation of refineries. This would result in newer opportunities
    for EIL over the long run.

Recently, the three major Indian OMCs-Indian Oil Corporation, HPCL and BPCL
    have shared their intent of setting up a 30mta mega refinery cum petrochemical
    complex on the west coast. As of now, this is at nascent stage and major development
    could flow through FY17-FY18.

Despite various encouraging plans shared by various oil companies, order booking
    continues to remain sluggish. In last two years, company has bagged smaller
    jobs within domestic consultancy business that attracts lower margins. Larger
    Greenfield orders are critical for EIL's meaningful grow in future. Small sized
    consultancy orders typically enjoy EBIT margins to the tune of 25-30% against
    large orders that enjoys higher margins of nearly 35-40%. Management has reiterated
    that pricing has remained stable and this could have positive impact on
    margins going ahead.

17. kharb

kharb Well-Known Member

Why to go for Poor PSU Son,when Father L&T is available at corrected price.

w4wealth likes this.
  18. Sandeep Gupta

Sandeep Gupta New Member

Hws SHILPA after corrections

19. BombayBoy

Missing out on EIL turned out to be good given the price discovered for retail.

Bought starting positions in Edelweiss & Gujarat Gas

a lot of noise regarding IndiGo with exploratory thoughts and a feeling of vindication post the fall in stock price after Q3 FY16 earnings, if somebody is interested - The highs and lows of a great business - Value Research

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  20. BombayBoy

India Shining भारत उदय

Looks like the investors don't buy the secular, come what may India growth story. If there's so much resilience and growth in the economy, why is the banking system plagued with NPA? Where are the profits?

The pre-budget rally which was expected like a ritual is missing.

Valentine's Day gift from China, post Lunar New Year holidays?

[​IMG]

It's the year of the monkey

selvan10 and San8422 like this.