Feedback on my Portfolio

Discussion in 'Ask A Query About Your Stock Picks And Portfolio' started by Vignesh Ravindran, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Vignesh Ravindran

Vignesh Ravindran New Member

Hi

I started investing from 2013. Here is my portfolio. My top 10 stocks amounts to 50% of my holdings. Please provide your valuable feedback on my portfolio

HCL Tech 8.98%
    Kotak MF-GETF 7.61%
    Page Industries 6.69%
    Goldman BEES 6.23%
    Sun Pharma 5.68%
    Torrent Pharma 4.96%
    Bajaj Corp 3.84%
    TVS Motor 3.59%
    IndusInd Bank 3.50%
    Lupin 3.19%
    Bajaj Finance 2.98%
    Repco Home 2.46%
    Bayer Cropscien 2.39%
    Mayur Uniquoter 2.27%
    Can Fin Homes 2.16%
    Motherson Sumi 2.11%
    YES BANK 2.07%
    TCS 2.04%
    Berger Paints 1.97%
    Infosys 1.91%
    Hero Motocorp 1.82%
    Ajanta Pharma 1.82%
    Asian Paints 1.81%
    Finolex Ind 1.80%
    KPIT Tech 1.75%
    Larsen 1.66%
    Titan Company 1.55%
    HDFC Bank 1.44%
    Dewan Housing 1.41%
    Pidilite Ind 1.39%
    City Union Bank 1.35%
    Cholamandalam 1.30%
    Emami 1.09%
    Havells India 1.09%
    Karur Vysya 0.88%
    HUL 0.71%
    LIC Housing Fin 0.48%

2. Meenakshi Razdan

Meenakshi Razdan Administrator Staff Member Moderator

The choice of stocks is good. All the companies enjoy a good track record of past performance and reputation.

The portfolio is highly diversified. There are multiple stocks in the same sector. For instance, the housing finance space is represented by Dewan Housing, LIC Housing, Can Fin Homes & Repco Home.

The issue of a diversified portfolio is a matter of personal choice. If you are able to track the stocks' performances comfortably, that is fine. As you go along, you may find that some companies outperform the others. At that stage, you can consider consolidating your holdings by shifting from the slow performers to the fast performers.

I see that you have a large part (about 13%) of your portfolio in Gold ETFs. This may be okay as a short-term hedge but over a very long period of time, gold will under-perform equities.

There is a very interesting discussion by Warren Buffett on why long-term investors should never choose an unproductive asset like Gold but should choose productive assets like a farm land, real estate, business, equities etc. Why Warren Buffett Hates Gold

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuJBMVz5DLQ[/youtube]​

3. abhiarps

abhiarps New Member

very correctly pointed out by admin...except for combining a few from each sector, I find everything else perfect..great choice :)

4. Vignesh Ravindran

Vignesh Ravindran New Member

Thanks for the feedback. Should I move my gold to stocks now ? Should I use this correction?

5. abhiarps

abhiarps New Member

yeah all global signs and experts believe gold to remain weak and bearishness in long term may remain intact..yeah in short term you may see some bounces but in longer run it has developed a range bound trade. yeah you can also convert them in to stocks if you have good risk appetite and buy in corrections or another thing which i find more suitable is increasing your exposure to nifty etf which you already have for steady growth and you can always add them on dips and also equities is going to remain in sweet spot at least for some five-ten years. this will also diversify your investment and give you a stable and steady growth which most people expect while investing in gold

6. antonio.munia

antonio.munia New Member

Your portfolio of about 40 odd scripts is way too diversified. I would suggest you to concentrate your portfolio and cut down to 15( to a max of 20) of your high conviction holds.
    Did you evaluate your returns for the past 2-3 yrs compared to Nifty ? Are you able to outperform it ?