US small mid cap stocks with secular growth, good ROE (ROCE)

Discussion in 'Ask A Query About Your Stock Picks And Portfolio' started by jarmoney, Apr 11, 2015.

1. rushia

rushia Member

The idea is if oil price remains low, Americans will overuse it and increase environmental degradation, so it does make sense to increase the prices and fund clean tech.

2. rushia

rushia Member

FYI

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Amazons-price-to-earnings-ratio-so-high

3. rushia

rushia Member

I think the problem is that Apple is valued as a hardware company which typically has a low P/E. US analysts are not very enthusiastic about h/w companies. Till Apple rerates it's difficult for the price to go up. Check the link

fortune.com/2016/01/20/apple-goldman-sachs-buy/

4. rushia

rushia Member

Not following it, but looks like a cheap buy at 9 p/e

5. bholu

bholu Active Member

One of my dear friends whom I really admire told me "All along your life you have to meet difficult people and learn to deal with them" . I guess my answers will have to come in the performance of my stocks. When they rise and I buy the Iphone with the money, I will return to this thread. I wish I could buy Apple's stock but I can not.

6. bholu

bholu Active Member

Before temporarily concluding my comments on this thread I must clarify that I am not offended at anybody but the discussion took a turn where I saw that instead of focusing on stocks the effort was prove me wrong. It appeared to me as if the effort was to undermine the potential of Apple was because I had spoken highly of it as there was an effort (in another thread) to exaggerate Wipro's performance because I had correctly pointed out that in the last five years Wipro's stock has given less return than a FD. If we keep twisting the facts I do not think this forum would be of help to retail investors. I guess I have to hang in with my arguments.

7. BombayBoy

BombayBoy Well-Known Member

Fact - bank FDs didn't double money in 7 years!

Fiction - exaggeration of Wipro's returns versus a fantasy bank FD which more than doubled in 5 years.

Please carry on with the crusade for "retail investors" who blame gold and FIIs for their miseries.

@bholu you can quote me, I'm not offended if you prove me wrong. I'll learn. I've posted a lot, you've plenty of opportunities.

"To be, or not to be: that is the question".

8. Srouta Mukherjee

Srouta Mukherjee Well-Known Member

We all have to learn :)

bholu likes this.
  9. Srouta Mukherjee

Srouta Mukherjee Well-Known Member

I think thee is misunderstanding. Sometimes it happens in forum where words are not understood as per meaning and intention. Otherwise members are knowledgeable and with good intention to explain.

10. bholu

bholu Active Member

Hey, BB take it easy. The reason I exited this thread was to avoid wasting my energies .I personally do not see great merit in arguing over Wipro or Apple. I cannot buy Apple products or stocks , and I am not sure of Wipro's potential going ahead. Hence you observed that I stopped commenting on the posts, and quickly expressed my thoughts for the benefit of all. However you must appreciate that my comments have helped new information come to light.
    Somebody rightly mentioned that Wipro grew at great pace because IT/ITES were booming and Azim Premji was chief executive. Now there are many competitors and Azim Premji is more of a promoter . It seems he does not take great interest in day to day affairs of the company. Hence Wipro's growth has moderated. The same happened with Infosys when NRN Murthy and Nandan Nilekani left Infosys. However NRN Murthy returned to take the company out of the woods. He charged only one rupee. Maybe Mr. Premji will do the same.
    Apple is doing a great job on all counts. Maybe the market values it inexpensively because its a hardware company as Rushia said. Or maybe because its growth in US, Europe has slowed considerably. Yet the management of Apple has been ahead of the curve on both the financial and the technical front. A retail investor in US should buy the stock.
    However I still stick to my point that the counter arguments were made with a focus on me and not in relation to the main point of discussion. Though I am really not offended but I thought it was better to put a challenging argument than simply be quiet. These things happen. Its part of life. Life goes on. I enjoy this forum. It has helped me sharpen my skills. Unfortunately I can not say that it has helped me make great money but it is certainly informative. I have noticed that when I do my own research, and form a opinion I do better. Hence I have started my own thread where I will share my ideas of undervalued stocks. Then when I make the money I will buy nothing. My Chinese phone is good enough.:D

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    Srouta Mukherjee likes this.
  11. BombayBoy

BombayBoy Well-Known Member

thank you @bholu

if my posts appeared to be focusing on you and not the discussion, i apologise

i think i'll refrain from posting in other threads henceforth because already a lot of members have been offended only because i've a different view or put forth things which aren't pleasant to accept

wish you Irish Luck with your stock ideas

12. bholu

bholu Active Member

BB, share your views as freely as possible, if you feel they can help the retail investors. If you make a fair point nobody should be offended. Did I not admit that I was wrong on the calculation of FD's return ? I did.

13. darth

darth Active Member

Time to revisit this thread. Blockbuster Q2 results from Apple Inc

- Revenues a whopping USD50.6 bln but ooops YoY -13% and sequentially -33%

- this disappointing quarter can be summed up in two words "iPhone sales". Almost the entire Usd8bln QoQ sales decline comes from iphone sales.
    - topline within the Q2 guidance of Usd 50-53bln. And to let you know their Q3 guidance happens to be Usd 41-43bln. And the further decline is not on account of ipads, ipods or macs.

Luckily retail investors in US are not guided by any misplaced (i) bullisness (ii) belief that apple is not only iphone (iii) advice that theyshould invest in Apple Inc expressed in here.