Advice for investment to a beginner in Market

Discussion in 'Ask A Query About Your Stock Picks And Portfolio' started by n pal, May 29, 2015.

1. n pal

n pal New Member

I am new to invest in stock market though watching market from 2005.Trying to understand the market by studying topic, post here and other online sources like moneycontrol etc.
    Please inform me name of some books to understand market fundamental easily for a beginner.
    Also, i want to invest in following stocks at current price with equal allocation .....please be kind enough to give your valuable suggestion about this....1) Fortis (RJ holding), 2) Granules(All r bullish), 3)DCB (Ramdeo n others bullish), 4) Mayur Uniquoters (strong reco in this site), 5) Dewan Hou. (RJ holding) , 6) Pokarna (Ashis Kacholia & Dolly Khanna reco), 7) Greenply( legends r bullish), 8) Kitex(All r bullish), 9) Relaxo Footware(All r bullish), 10) Nandan Denim (Doly Khanna n others bullish) , 11) Pincon Spirit (results seems very impressive and valuation compelling, Ace Investor reco.), 12) Gati, 13) Transport Corp. , 14) Balmer Lawrie 15) TCPL Packaging , 16) International Paper APPM, 17) TV Today, 18) NBCC , 19) Ricoh India. (Sl. 12 to 19- all reco by R.Damani, rarely his recos goes wrong) 20) Atu Auto( Ramdeo’s 100x bagger)
    ...Thanks and eagerly waiting for replies.

2. stockguru

stockguru Active Member

As a beginner I would recommend reading One Up on Wall Street by Peter Lynch. It has timeless advice and it is worth a read for every investor. Lynch has also written a couple of other books which sadly I haven't read yet so can't say much about those. Safal Niveshak blog has actually kept one of the best list of books that an investor should read. You could check it out at https://www.safalniveshak.com/book-recommendations-legendary-investors/

kiran likes this.
  3. basit

basit New Member

I think you should read every book of "little book big profit"series.
    &
    Granules is a slow mover.It has been trading in the range of 75-95 for the past 2 months.It will show upmove only after next quarter provided that results are good

4. Rahul_Remedies

Rahul_Remedies New Member

First Just look for top 10 pharma company by continuously improving sales, profitability and these should be in chronic/dependable segment. Pick few of them which have proven track record.
    Second one try to invest in starting and when you get knowledge only than try for value investing (as claimed by leader about Granules).

5. Guru Vachaal

Guru Vachaal Let's discuss the fundamentals..

Dear friend,

Never buy a stock when ALL ARE BULLISH.

Buy something that is MOST HATED or overlooked but has great fundamentals.

6. abhiarps

abhiarps New Member

very correctly pointed by mr.guru...for eg RJ bought Deewan nd fortis @ 150 nd118 when no one cared abt them.. so have ur own approach instead of blindly following others..

7. vikramjit.singh

vikramjit.singh New Member

I would say do your own research and evaulation.

Reading top stock list is good but at the end dont try to imitate someone else.

Do what you believe in...and the best teaching you will have is by actually trading / investing.

One more advice. Don't panic in falls.

8. Srouta Mukherjee

Srouta Mukherjee Well-Known Member

BEST WAY IS TO BUY IN SIP. I think SIP is the most sensible way to make an investment in the market.

9. bholu

bholu Active Member

Decide on your time horizon...I would say keep a horizon of 2 year plus..then start buying quality stocks on dips...I will not give you specific stocks but begin with quality stocks then diversify into small caps

10. alchemist

alchemist New Member

Apart from growth potential, good management, i look at sound balance sheets. Zero debt,/low debt, low debt service coverage ratio with improving return on capital always proves to be wise

11. stockguru

stockguru Active Member

Excellent point by the alchemist. Balance sheets are very important. For someone who is from a non financial background and want to just start with reading the balance sheet and knowing about it, I would recommend the book Romancing the Balance Sheet by Dr. Anil Lamba. It is not a text book or complete guide to accounting or balance sheets but it is useful for people from a non financial background as it is written in a simple language and easy to understand. This should just be a starting point for someone who is not familiar with balance sheets.

kiran likes this.
  12. Guru Vachaal

Promoters should be honest and reliable. There should be multiple sources of company's income.

But its hard to find such companies.

( jaise sundar shusheel shaant gyani kaamkaaji patni milna namumkin hai) :p

13. stockguru

stockguru Active Member

Well how would you judge the honesty and reliability of a promoter. There are many small or mid cap companies whose promoter history is very difficult to find. They might be hard working people but ultimately we would have to see the company's performance. Also regarding multiple stream of income, I strongly believe that if the company is in growth phase and is experiencing good growth it shouldn't focus on diversifying and just only focus on its core business which it is strong and have a track record. Diversifying can occur when the company's management think that their growth in their main business or the industry that they are in is stagnant and would be unable to grow. Senseless diversification can sometimes do more harm than good to the shareholders.

14. Srouta Mukherjee

Srouta Mukherjee Well-Known Member

Very good point.

15. narayan.pal

narayan.pal Active Member

Thx for d replies so far...looking for such a book by Dr. Anil Lamba as I am not from a finance back ground. ...thx again n waiting 4 ur more advices.

16. Guru Vachaal

"Fundamentals of investing in equities and assets that create wealth" by Yogesh chabria and anubha singhania

Easy to understand.

kiran likes this.
  17. abhay6605

abhay6605 Member

how is amtek auto @current market 51.Buy something that is MOST HATED

18. abhay6605

abhay6605 Member

tip....they have defaulted 800 cr on sunday.

19. Beginnner

Beginnner New Member

I want to organize my folio How to design portfolio and give weightage to sectors. Plz help

20. dineshkapoor27

dineshkapoor27 Active Member

@Beginnner firstly you need to understand that we buy different stocks only to diversify our risk. So if one sector goes down, our overall portfolio doesn't go down along with it. So try to buy 1-2 stocks from each sector. Secondly, buy those sectors in which you see some potential in the future. I feel Housing Finance, Private banks, IT, Pharma, Cement space have huge potential so I pick stocks from these sectors. You may have some other different sectors that you might like. So pick the sectors and then pick stocks which you think have good potential to become big in the next 3-5 years. Allocate your money in different percentages, the more you believe in one sector, more allocation to it. In general dont go more than 20% in one sector. All the best!

Beginnner likes this.