Feedback on my portfolio

Discussion in 'Ask A Query About Your Stock Picks And Portfolio' started by pradip, Jun 13, 2015.

1. pradip

pradip Member

Hi All,

Below is my portfolio of equities which I have build over the last 1.5 Yrs. Would request you to please share your thoughts/suggestions -

80% of my portfolio is split between the below companies - HDFC Bank, Indraprastha Gas, Yes Bank, Ipca Labs, Marico & Lupin

The remaining 20% is split between these companies - Dewan House, Capital First, Page Industries, Mayur Uniquoters, Meghmani Organics, Prakash Industries, TV Today, Tree House, & ITC

If I share my thought process behind building such a portfolio -

1.I love all my companies in the 80% bracket. I believe these are superior companies with quality management. Though Ipca Labs is passing through tough times, I trust the management

2.Of the companies in the 20% bracket -

A.Meghmani Organics, Prakash Industries & ITC are my 'gamble investment'. I have bought them at cheaper valuations and holding them tight.

B.I like the remaining companies. For instance, I believe Capital First and Dewan House are best companies in the NBFC space. Tree House, Mayur Uniquoters & Page Industries command a 'moat' in their respective domains.

Would invite feedbacks from all my fellow boarders )))

Jeevan and Srouta Mukherjee like this.
  2. pradip

pradip Member

Meenakshi, stockguru..please have a look )))

3. Meenakshi Razdan

Meenakshi Razdan Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Well, frankly, I am quite impressed by your portfolio and the thinking process. It is not often that we see people who have devoted so much thought to the making of the portfolio.

What is the allocation between the stocks inter-se within the 80% bracket and the 20% bracket? Is it equal?

I think choosing large caps like HDFC Bank, Lupin and Marico is a sensible decision. It adds a lot of stability to the portfolio. These are indeed top-quality companies and can be expected to churn out steady returns for several years to come.

The choice of Capital First, Dewan House, Mayur Uniquoters & Page Industries is also good. I am only wondering whether it is justified to relegate them to the "20% bracket". Even if one is a conservative investor, I think a case can be made out for larger allocation to these stocks.

Meghmani Organics and Prakash Industries are rightly put in the "gamble" category. ITC is a blue chip with an incredible track record. However, the regulatory restrictions have robbed it of the charm.

The idea of having a "gamble" category within the portfolio is an interesting one. I think it ensures that we have an outlet to cater to our "gambling" instinct. At the same time, it puts a cap on the amount that can be allocated so that we don't get into serious trouble.

4. Meenakshi Razdan

How much of the portfolio is allocated to the "gamble" category? 5% or 10%?

pradip likes this.
  5. Srouta Mukherjee

Srouta Mukherjee Well-Known Member

Good portfolio of stocks but HDFC Bank and Lupin are sleeping giants. If you are young and able to take risk, better to have midcaps like DCB Bank, Karur Vysya, JB Chem, Ajanta Pharma and other midcaps. Why not go for quality midcaps which can become tommorows large cap stocks?

stockjeet18 and pradip like this.
  6. pradip

pradip Member

Many many thanks for your reply Meenakshi )))) Your words of encouragement means a lot to me ))

On your first query,
    a. In the 80% bracket, yes its almost equal.
    b. In the 20% bracket, Dewan House, Capital First and Tree House constitute the half of it

My idea here is to keep my portfolio balanced. I believe this protects your principal as your returns will not be over dependent on particular stock !

On your second query,
    Yes, the companies you have highlighted deserve to be promoted. I actually have entered these counters in the last couple of months only and adding them in chunks. For instance, I bought Mayur this Tue @ 391 only !

On your gamble query,
    I have allocated 6%. Meghmani I bought on Daljeet Kohli's articles

I actually have been following the equity markets for the last 7 Yrs ! 3 Yrs back I had booked losses in Glodyne Technoserve (a fraud company I believe !), Balmer & Lawrie, REC, Jyoti Labrotaries, Bank of India ))). And then I switched-off the market for 1 Yr to absorb the 'loss shock'. And I returned back to the market in 2013 after doing some homework.

BTW, I follow your comments/feedbacks regularly ))) You know so much

Thanks again )))

7. pradip

pradip Member

Thanks Srouta )) Appreciate you taking out time to share your thoughs

Well, my investment horizon is 'foreever' (I am inspired by Warren B). So I feel HDFC Bank and Lupin are great wealth creators over a long term horizon.

In the banking space, yes DCB & Karur are very good, in my understanding. But I am slightly biased towards HDFC, Yes Bank & Axis bank.

In Pharma space, I like Lupin, Ipca, Aurobindo, Natco, Granules & Ajanta.

Talking of other midcaps, I follow Castrol, Colgate, Pidillite, Crisil & Titan. Waiting for prices to correct more ))))

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks again !

8. Srouta Mukherjee

Srouta Mukherjee Well-Known Member

Good thoughts. Good clarity of thoughts. :) My portfolio is in big mess. I will ask also for advice.

pradip likes this.
  9. pradip

pradip Member

Sure. Pleasure will be all mine )))

Vidhi Khanna likes this.
  10. pradip

pradip Member

Vidhi, please do share your thoughts/suggestions ))))

11. stockWisdom

stockWisdom Member

Dear Pradip,
    I like your portfolio. Midcap pharma and industrial are good space to invest in this ongoing correction. JB Ph, Aurobindo, Suprajit Engg, Motherson Sumi etc. are good, in my view.

I am adding Talwalkars BVF and HCL tech.

What is your thought?

Regards.

stockjeet18 and pradip like this.
  12. pradip

pradip Member

Thanks for your reply ))))

Before I share my thoughts, let me put a 'disclaimer' - These are my personal thoughts. And I believe one should take the final call based on one's own informed call.

Talwalkars I believe operates in a very competitive market. I prefer companies which have a 'competitive advantage' - companies which have the pricing power. For instance, Pidillite, Colgate etc.

I have actually consciously avoided investing in IT companies. I believe these companies operate in a very competitive scenario and have negligible pricing power. You would prefer to invest in companies which have the pricing power because these companies will deliver superior returns in any scenario. For instance, even if someone loses his job or if the economy is passing though recession, you would continue to wear undergarments ! And that's why Page Industries have done astoundingly well over years )))

Please share your thoughts )))

13. stockWisdom

stockWisdom Member

You are right, Pradip.
    I feel Talwalkars have better position in un-organised fitness sector, so I have invested in that scrip; it is delivering good results too. I have Pidilite. Kindly go through my portfolio from the topic list, Regards.

pradip likes this.
  14. narayan.pal

narayan.pal Active Member

Pradip....gd xample of choosing company like page industry. ...simple xample but has depth in thinking...continue it...we, new to stock market, will be educated immensely.
    ....also one request to u as well as to Meenakshi, Vidhi n others....plz publish how to calculate different key points of a stock like CAGR, PAT, OPM, ROE, ROCE etc choosing any stock for xample....thx in anticipation

Krishna and pradip like this.
  15. Meenakshi Razdan

Good point. There are a number of articles on this. I think we can collate them together so that reference becomes easier. We can start a new section for this.

Krishna and pradip like this.
  16. narayan.pal

Yes mam...there should be a dedicated section for investor's education.....will come as a immense help to build knowledge of us who has strong desire to learn the fundamental n want to b a investor in indian stock market...not depending on 'hot tips' from this n that corner n burnt their fingers repeatedly. ..

pradip likes this.
  17. pradip

pradip Member

Hi,

Quickly wanted to share the below sites. Hope they will be useful to you )))

https://www.moneychimp.com/calculator/discount_rate_calculator.htm
    https://value-picks.blogspot.com.br/2015/05/ten-questions-every-investor-should-ask.html
    https://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/returnonequity.asp

18. narayan.pal

thx Pradip

19. Dreamer1214

Dreamer1214 Member

Good Overall though process in building in your portfolio, I think since your investment is for ever may be you can look for some mid cap stocks which will become large caps in future.

20. Anita

Anita Member

The screener is a very efficient way to find a great company to invest. You can create and save your own filters by choosing simple criteria you wish for in the company. You can also compare the results of the filter.
    please visit www.eqax.com, a free source for various fundamental ratings of all the companies in India.

pradip likes this.