Will Fed raise interest rate in Dec 2015

Discussion in 'Ask A Query About Your Stock Picks And Portfolio' started by Sachin pathak, Oct 29, 2015.

?

Will Fed raise interest rates in December 2015

Poll closed Nov 5, 2015.
  1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

50.0%
  1. Sachin pathak

Sachin pathak Active Member

Take the poll...

2. RAMA MURTHY SASTRY CHALLA

RAMA MURTHY SASTRY CHALLA Well-Known Member

In my view no change in interest rate this time

governor Guidance is more important

3. Sachin pathak

Ok.... Thanks

Keep it coming guys. Ofcourse with your reasoning like how RMSC did

4. Carl Icahn

Carl Icahn Active Member

Report by Karvy on the subject:

US Fed Meet: Increased probability for a rate hike in December 2015 or early 2016

The US Federal Reserve has maintained status quo on the Federal Funds Rate
    target range of 0-0.25%. The Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) is also
    continuing its policy of re-investments to maintain accommodative financial
    conditions. The Fed highlighted that the economy is growing at a moderate pace.
    The Fed’s main objectives are maximum employment and 2% inflation rate. The
    Fed in its rate decisions takes into consideration labour market conditions, inflation
    as well as inflation expectations and international developments. The recent labour
    market indicators are pointing towards a slight slowdown in growth with conditions
    showing improvements with only around 142,000 job gains in September 2015
    (mainly in the health care sector (+34,000) while losses were reported to continue
    in mining (-10,000); the average job gains this year including recent data have been
    around 198,000 which is lesser than the 2014 average of 264,000). However, the
    unemployment rate remained steady at 5.1% in September 2015. The inflation
    rate (-0.2% in September 2015) is still below the long-run 2% target. The Fed has
    indicated that the inflation rate may remain lower than the target in the near future.
    The Fed has stated that the inflation rate will gradually rise towards its target rate
    and the possibility of a rate hike will increase when it is confident that inflation is
    moving towards 2%. The Fed does not seem too anxious about the recent global
    economic turbulence affecting the US economy but did state that the conditions
    will be monitored. Progress in domestic economic developments will be keenly
    watched and will play an important role in any future funds rate decisions.

Our View

US economy is ready for a rate hike during the year 2015, but the timing of the
    rate decision will be very much dependent on the upcoming employment and
    inflation numbers before the December 15-16 meeting. Though the probability of
    a December rate hike has increased slightly, we are of the opinion that Fed could
    initiate rate hikes in early 2016 considering the recent global developments.

Attached Files:

5. shakti khanduri

shakti khanduri Active Member

Rate increase is due, very shortly, but MORE RELEVRNT QUESTION FOR US IS-WETHER MARKET HAS FACTORED IN THIS DEVELOPMENT? ALMOST , YES (my opinion) as news is floating in the air for quite some time.It is also believed that market may be irrational(nervous) in short term but in the long term it is rational and knows that rate hike is inevitable.

Fun_Da_Mentalist likes this.
  6. Srouta Mukherjee

Srouta Mukherjee Well-Known Member

Good point. If rate hike is priced in why worry?

7. Fun_Da_Mentalist

Fun_Da_Mentalist Active Member

Historically the Fed has raised rates when over 50% of analysts have factored a raise in. As per latest data, 45 % of American analysts are saying it will in Dec 15. It is touch and go but I think it will not in Dec 15. I was I the camp which believed they would raise rates in Sept. When they did not I realised they are more weak kneed than I imagined they were.

The data which is key is inflation and expectations of inflation. Inflation data is weak and growth outlook so fragile that inflationary expectations are low as well.

Finally, the employment data is dressed. In the sense, it is calculated as those unemployed who are registered with employment agencies and are looking for a job. From this pool the calculation denominator is arrived at.

Actually, the pool is much larger and does not include those who have " lost hope" and not registered at all.

There are enough reports to suggest that this number is meaningfully high and if it were included, employment numbers will look a lot less rosy.

Finally, a rate hike is inevitable and we need to be prepared to take advantage of short term risk mispricing we are likely to witness when this happens

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  8. Sachin pathak

Hi,

I would humbly submit that just because the news has been lingeringfor sometime doesnt mean that the market had priced this in. Around September - fixed income market had priced in only a 30% probability

9. Sachin pathak

Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen said Wednesday that December would be a "live possibility" for a rate hike if the upcoming data are supportive.
    "Now no decision has been made on that and, what it will depend on, is the [Federal Open Market Committee's] assessment at the time. That assessment will be informed by all of the data that we collect between now and then," she said, testifying before the House Financial Services Committee.
    Janet Yellen also said she and the committee expect the economy to grow "at a pace that's sufficient to generate further improvement in the labor market, and to return inflation to our 2 percent target."
    "If the incoming information supports that expectation, then or statement indicates that December would be a live possibility," she said.
    According to the CME Group, the probability of a Fed rate hike next month increased to about 60 percent after Yellen's testimony.

10. Fun_Da_Mentalist

You are absolutely right. No matter how long it has been lingering in the air, when it happens there will be at least a short term shock. Expect the high multiple shares and the ones which have increased a lot in the last few months to take a knock. It is the right time to make a shopping list and wait, given that Q2 results have been a bit of a dampener and if the BJP loses Bihar ( as people are sensing it might ) then the mood will already be fragile and this hike will add to it.

11. shakti khanduri

shakti khanduri Active Member

Sir,I understand my views are being misunderstood
    I still hold the view that fed hike will not make much difference in the long term and our market will move on its own strength as maket is already factoring in the rate hike and when that occures, there wll be no surprise element left,which shakes the market.

12. Fun_Da_Mentalist

I agree that in the long run there may not be an impact; to the extent that market is not going to be caught unaware by the rate hike, the impact will be mitigated in the short run as well.