My portfolio - comments most welcome

Discussion in 'Ask A Query About Your Stock Picks And Portfolio' started by bholu, Apr 12, 2015.

1. bholu

bholu Active Member

My own portfolio, figure is percentage...since I keep commenting on others portfolio I thought I would share my own...I usually purchase stocks on basis of several factors but value and ethics are most important...would look forward to comments...also have to clarify that REC was bought much before its OFS...besides these I have 25 more ;D...those will come in next post...

Axis Bank 5.6
    Infosys 4.9
    Can Fin 4.8
    Mphasis 4.8
    JK Tyres 4.0
    Tata Motors 3.4
    BEML 3.2
    NIIT Tech 3.2
    Amara Raja 3.2
    SRF 3.1
    REC 3.1
    NMDC 3.1
    Divis 2.9
    Strides 2.9
    Mindtree 2.9
    Kalpatru 2.2
    HPCL 2.2
    Prestige 2.2
    Ambuja 1.9
    GSK pharma 1.9
    TCS 1.8
    IPCA 1.8
    Torrent 1.7
    Jkumar infra 1.7
    Indoco Remedies 1.7
    LG Balakrishnan 1.5
    Finolex 1.5
    Auto Axles 1.5
    Power Grid 1.5
    Wipro 1.5

2. Srouta Mukherjee

Srouta Mukherjee Well-Known Member

Good collection of stocks. All solid companies with good track record. But there are 25 more stocks? Which ones are those.

3. abhiarps

abhiarps New Member

All reputed names with great track record but the only thing which i found missing is some scrips from banking space esp midcap banking space like south indian bank, Federal, City uni, DCB or KVysya...i think they might be there in ur rest 25 scrips considering the quality stocks you've accumulated... nd if not then u could contemplate about the same.

4. bholu

bholu Active Member

Relax Mukherjee babu 8)....what is the big hurry...you want to get all info at once, but thanks for your comments...but on a serious note...I am yet to buy the one stock recommendation of Porinju Veliyath....when I buy that...I will definitely share the next 25...till then you may have to wait...maybe for a couple of weeks..the portfolio might also see some change with results season coming....no stock will go out but weights may change ...abhiarps...thanks for your suggestion...I do not have any capital to buy a mid-cap banking stock...also, the weight of financial is already the highest in my portfolio

5. Srouta Mukherjee

Ok Sir. But which is stock of Porinju that you are buying? BDH or Ansal or Simran?

6. bholu

bholu Active Member

Sir ????? :) ...I am no sir...because you have asked earnestly the stock in question is Anant Raj Developer

7. west_canal

west_canal New Member

I run a concentrated pf. I do know a lot of people who run very diversified pf and make lot of money doing that. But my experience is that most people end up with diversified pf just bcoz they chase too many stories/next hot stock and not because of some deep thought/philosophy. (though there are exceptions as as I said before). I hope you are in the latter category.
    I have always been curious of thoughtfully created diversified pf.
    My question to you are:
    1) What is your pf dividend yield?
    2) What is the largest draw down from peak (all time pf highs) you have have seen in your pf? Say if nifty hits all time high and then drop 5%, 10% from peak. How much does your pf drop in those scenarios?
    3) Your pf value range on monthyl basis - say +/-10% from mean - would be nice if you give data from months like aug 2013/March 2015?

8. bholu

bholu Active Member

thank you for your comments...well I do look for new ideas...but I do not buy indiscriminately...if I see reasonable value, good management, good corporate governance I buy the stock, provided i have funds...I also try to understand the business model...but as you know like most retail investors the information I have is very limited...hence I also try and balance my investment...go for tested companies...and invest in untested companies also....if something goes wrong or a stock terribly under performs I may remove it completely..usually the investments in untested companies are small but if they do well I may buy more..I definitely try and hold a stock for a year for taxation benefits...also I follow a portfolio investment approach, so I balance my investment across sectors...in the last correction when nifty fell from 9000 to 8250 my portfolio fell by 1.5% so its not too volatile...can not say much about dividend yield because different companies pay dividends at different times... but the companies I have do pay some dividend, that is one of my criteria for stock selection

9. bholu

bholu Active Member

The remaining part of my portfolio...sadly not been able to purchase Porinju's pick...but definitely looking forward to do it next month ...

PFC1.4
    ACC 1.3
    IndusInd 1.3
    LIC Housing 1.2
    GIC Housing 1.2
    ICICI 1.1
    SKF 1
    Voltas 1
    MOIL 1
    Clariant 1
    Nucleus 1
    Birla Ericsson 1
    Maruti 1
    HZL 1
    BHEL 0.9
    Kirloskar Pnuematic 0.9
    ONGC 0.8
    Petronet LNG 0.8
    Ceat 0.7
    Kajaria 0.6
    NALCO 0.6
    JK Bank 0.6
    Polaris 0.6
    Texmaco 0.6
    Sasken 0.5

10. saurabh.dwivedi

saurabh.dwivedi Member

Opinion on some of your picks:

Moil: They have very good cash flows and the interest income itself is almost 300 crore.So I assume it is a safe bet. Also when cycle turns positive its earning power will increase due to ramp up in production.

Polaris: Valuation wise it seems cheap , but i had read somewhere that sebi had reprimanded the promoters for hiding price sensitive, so i stopped following it after that as it put a question mark on promoter's integrity.

11. bholu

bholu Active Member

Thanks MOIL has been an under performer but held it for diversification...also Polaris was purchased on recommendations of G. Chokkalingam ...valuations were cheap.. :p..looking forward to introduce many small caps this year it seems Sensex Nifty have peaked for the year at 9k/30 k respectively :-[

12. Srouta Mukherjee

I agree stocks selection is very good. But I want to ask why so many stocks and whether there is a problem about how to monitor so many stocks. 50 stocks in portfolio is difficult to track or not. I want to reduce number of stocks in my portfolio to 25 (maximum). What is your experience about managing so many stocks at one time?

13. saurabh.dwivedi

saurabh.dwivedi Member

This stock is PSU commodity metal stock , that is why it is in dump at the moment.

14. bholu

bholu Active Member

If you look at my portfolio most of the stocks are quality ones, and I also try to buy them cheap...if you buy a good quality stock monitoring is not a challenge, the returns are lower but risk is also low and if you get valuation right then that is best possible case...also as I said pick stocks for at least a years time so I usually allow the stock that time..plus with so many news channels, websites it is not hard to monitor a stock...having said that I have also had my share of failures...even in this bull run I had to sell stocks like Bajaj Auto, Oil India, Novartis, with losses but I felt it was better to redeploy my capital for better gains...

15. Srouta Mukherjee

Logic makes sense to me. Tks for clarifying.

16. bholu

bholu Active Member

But I will only buy high risk high reward stocks this year....my next portfolio will surprise everybody...but have to get rich quickly 8)