MY PORTFOLIO

Discussion in 'Ask A Query About Your Stock Picks And Portfolio' started by SUNNY, Apr 15, 2015.

?

NEED ADVICE ON MY PORTFOLIO STOCKS

1. 1

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. 2

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. SUNNY

SUNNY Member

I HAVE THE FOLLOWING STOCKS IN MY PORTFOLIO
    1. COX & KING @ 250
    2. NMDC @ 220
    3. FEDERAL BANK @ 105
    4. PVR @ 700
    5. PETRONET LNG @ 150

2. Guru Vachaal

Guru Vachaal Let's discuss the fundamentals..

Your query is actually not complete. You must share the following:-

1) Risk potential
    2) Time Horizon
    3) Investment Goal

NMDC - It is a good company but your BUY price is very high.

COX & KINGS- Good brand but not convinced about its fundamentals. Why don't you check "International Travel House Ltd" in travel segment?. ITC is the promoter with 61% share :) Although its a small cap company but worth considering for long term.

PVR - Some stocks in the current market look good but they are actually overpriced. So you need to check that.

FEDERAL BANK - You may stay invested but why did you buy it ?

PETRONET - Don't Know

3. Meenakshi Razdan

Meenakshi Razdan Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Do you have only five stocks in the portfolio? How much capital is allocated to each of the five stocks? Also, how much of the net worth is invested in stocks?

Experts advice that a concentrated portfolio should be made up of only sector leaders because the margin for error is virtually non-existent. One should have absolute confidence in the prospects of a stock before entrusting large percentages of capital to it.

The five stocks in the portfolio don’t appear to be sector leaders as far I know. Also, including a PSU stock engaged in the commodity business is fraught with some risk. Federal Bank is a good and well run bank but a big NPA can take it down.

A sensible idea is to diversify a bit so that the risk is spread out more.

w4wealth likes this.
  4. SUNNY

SUNNY Member

Dear guru / Meenakshi,

below is the answer to your queries, also please suggest some good stocks for 15-20% yearly return.

1) Risk potential - Medium
    2) Time Horizon - 2-3 years or more
    3) Investment Goal - Savings for my children

Also i would like to invest in ITC, CAIRN INDIA & TCS, your valuable suggestion will be appreciable.

5. saurabh.dwivedi

saurabh.dwivedi Member

International Travel House Ltd seems interesting, will further check its fundamentals and business model.

6. Guru Vachaal

Saurabh bhai :)

Results have also been declared yesterday. Growth in top and bottom lines are not that great but remember, a good promoter can do all wonders.

Patience is the main ingredient in this particular stock (International Travel House Ltd).

NOTE: All my recommendations are for long term only. So one should not expect good returns in just few days or months. As of now I have not learned the art to making quick money :p

7. Guru Vachaal

Sunny,

I like Cairn India and TCS. Not sure about ITC.

but Cairn India has few drawbacks as well. Like Pledged promoter holding, International crude prices and Tax issues. If you want to buy then buy slowly. In each decline, you may add 10%. Dividend Payout is good.

(Selan Exploration is better than Cairn India but its a small cap company)

TCS can be bought at current levels. :)

8. SUNNY

SUNNY Member

Thanks guru, can you suggest some stocks for long term, i prefer only large and mid-cap stocks

9. Guru Vachaal

Keep an eye on Gujarat Mineral Development Corporation Limited and PTC India Limited
    Both companies pay dividend.

But BUY in very small installments.

NOTE: I am an illiterate in studying Large caps stocks.

10. bholu

bholu Active Member

Cairn India valuations very attractive but corporate governance, tax issues
    TCS is a buy..probably should correct after results
    fundamentally HUL is better than ITC, buy and forget
    Selan also looks interesting but I have some issues with company's profile..

11. Guru Vachaal

@Bholu: What are your issues with Selan Exploration? I believe they have been constantly drilling new oil wells which will work as a strong launchpad while launching the share price rocket after the international crude rates hike.

They have also said that they might take loans in order to tackle with the crude price fall.

12. bholu

bholu Active Member

Selan is on fire today and TCS Mindtree ACC all fallen sharply after results...I guess your tagline suits me best 8)..

13. Guru Vachaal

Yes...co-incidentally Selan has shown a sharp up move today itself.

But I doubt whether the rally will sustain. :eek:

14. saurabh.dwivedi

saurabh.dwivedi Member

At 5 lac market cap personally I don't like TCS (though i don't follow it. :)) though the company seems good fundamentally.

Selan has been discussed here on valuepickr forum: https://www.valuepickr.com/forum/not-so-hidden-gems/670383834

15. saurabh.dwivedi

saurabh.dwivedi Member

I am copy pasting from a blog:

Oil sector is a high risk and high return sector. Data acquired for seismic evaluation of oilfields & reservoir modeling involves interpretation by advanced software technology and equipment which
    is capital intensive in nature and therefore prone to obsolescence coupled with uncertainty in results.

However, the inherent risks of dealing with nature cannot be completely mitigated and that is why drilling activity poses a great challenge and risk. The fluctuation in international oil prices as well as in the dollar
    value of the rupee is another factor which adds to the uncertainty of profits in the oil industry.

16. bholu

bholu Active Member

Saurabh...well at least TCS gave bonus to its employees...I know a relative who recently quit TCS to join Infosys ..lost on 7 weeks salary as bonus :-[...hopefully a day will come when TCS will reward its shareholders also ...I guess I bought TCS at the peak on its trajectory..the management misguided the share holders by saying FY15 will be better than FY14...it seems it did not turn out that way...also market was expecting a bonus or something (all IT majors gave a bonus in last one year) ...luckily it is not significant weight in portfolio.

17. SUNNY

SUNNY Member

Yesterday i purchased Fortis Healthcare @ 170, hope it is good for short / medium term

w4wealth likes this.
  18. Meenakshi Razdan

Meenakshi Razdan Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Hmmm ... what is your rationale for buying Fortis Healthcare? What other Pharma stocks do you have in the Portfolio? There is a small write up prepared at the time that Rakesh Jhunjhunwala bought the stock. The price has moved up quite a bit since then.

The company appears to be on the path to streamline its affairs and to reduce debt. We'll have to monitor the Q4FY15 results and the management commentary to determine the prospects for the stock.

19. SUNNY

SUNNY Member

My broker told me to buy this stock for short/medium term gain, frankly i do not go for minute detailing of stock.

Secondly i am planning to buy Hero Honda, this stock has come down considerably from his 52 high.

Your views will be appreciated.

20. SUNNY

SUNNY Member

How is Manappuram Finance, it is good stock to buy at this juncture.