Most gains washed away in this dreadful market correction...

Discussion in 'Ask A Query About Your Stock Picks And Portfolio' started by darth, Dec 9, 2015.

1. darth

darth Active Member

Didn't any member in here not see this coming???? Surely somebody must have raised this in his/her threads. Any Claimants?

Parin Gala likes this.
  2. BombayBoy

BombayBoy Well-Known Member

nah, they're all looking for the next multi-bagger, digging every self proclaimed stock guru's posts out there

3. Parin Gala

Parin Gala A long term investor

Such incidences keep happening every now and then. Some incidents send the market rocketing high some cause it to spiral down sharply.

I follow only one principle. First decide whether you are a trader or an investor. If you are a trader then you should have strict stop loss to protect you from big loss in such a news driven bad market.

And if you are an investor you should not worry about these short term problems. You should look beyond these things. Non passage of GST does not mean the end of the world or the end of Indian economy.

If you recall we have gone through similar (perhaps worse) falls in the very recent months.. First it was rupee weakening, then Greece, then China.. Market went down very sharply every time, then recovered again.

So of you call your self an "investor" with a portfolio, then such falls should be utilised to tank up on quality stocks on your radar rather than worrying about short term notional losses in your portfolio. When things in the economy improve, markets will surely go up. Its just a matter of time.

And if you had taken the positions for trading you should have got out of them by Monday itself because that was the first major loss day and most trader's who were long, their stop losses were hit that day itself

Srouta Mukherjee likes this.
  4. Srouta Mukherjee

Srouta Mukherjee Well-Known Member

I thought GST would pass because of positive talk everywhere. I suffered huge loss in Gati/ TCI. Very bad situation :(

5. Farhan Ghumra

Farhan Ghumra Active Member

90%of my stocks did almost nothing in 80% of their time. What all they did was in the remaining 20%.
    Patience is a virtue.

- Vijay Kedia

Be positive bro

6. darth

darth Active Member

Ya looks to be case.

7. darth

darth Active Member

I think even if you are an investor, if a correction is likely profits should be crystallised holding the cash to reenter your portfolio stocks at lower levels. Holding a share longterm ( as you suggest an investor does ) should not mean that the portfolio shouldnt be churned to take advantage of an expected correction

Srouta Mukherjee likes this.
  8. darth

darth Active Member

I saw a couple of posts of members opining that the market will definately fall and entry should be timed then. Maybe not many took advantage of this

9. kharb

kharb Well-Known Member

Do you think some thing has happened in India to spoil economy,nothing just it is noise by politicians.This will never stop ,as they have made this as part of their profession and life.So please focus on working of Compnies in your portfolio.If you are invested in good compnies, just enjoy the political drama and invest some of cash of your portfolio at lower levels to cash out again when these politicians are tired of drama and go on political holidays.They just keep on giving buying opportunity. Stock market don't run in staright line.

w4wealth likes this.
  10. darth

darth Active Member

Dont underestimate the power of the politicians.... Besides there is enough damage that a few have already caused to the economy and i for one dont like my investments in good companies tumbling due to acts ( or lack thereof) of politicians. I prefer to enjoy my investments grow continously and not the political drama being played out currently

w4wealth likes this.
  11. Parin Gala

Parin Gala A long term investor

Yes you are right. Unfortunately some politicians have jeopardised the growth of the economy by obstructing policy reforms. This will have a considerable impact on the performance of many companies.I guess the Q3 results will also be bad. It seems more pain is in store for investors. :(

12. New_Investor

New_Investor Active Member

Pain for some can be gain for some others. If you have cash you can invest in the falling market (owing to the political drama) and gain. I know that you will find my words "Pain for some can be gain for some others" wrong/ rude/ hurting but that is the fact of life. Owing to chennai floods, companies having units in chennai were affected and their stock prices fell. But some investors grabbed the opportunity to buy these shares at low prices. Some lost Some gained.
    Be positive. Think positive.

Parin Gala likes this.
  13. kharb

kharb Well-Known Member

Dear Darth,I assume you don't keep any cash in portfolio to enjoy the drama of politicians. Pl make a formula yourself about how much cash you keep in your portfolio at what level of NIFTY At present level of NIFTY PE ,one should have 10 to 15% cash as it is slightly above long term average.If you don't keep yourself prepared to enjoy the Drama by politicians, then feel the pain as politicians are here to keep their game on or off as per their convinniance.Don't expect them to bail you out.

14. darth

darth Active Member

Hi,

Far greater liquidity than the 10-15% you suggest. But things for sure aint rosy.

Infact just this morning i was hearing the woes of a business man friend of mine who told me how bad business his been for almost 8 months now and how widespread the rot is.....

15. darth

darth Active Member

I picked this quote from another thread on Chennai floods. Looks like the guy is one such investor who may be gaining when others lost the chance.

16. kharb

kharb Well-Known Member

When things are not rosy,means great time to invest slowly .Should any body invest when things are rosy .?Now you will find apple selling at price of potatoes .What a good time if you like apples ....Buying during such time results into out performance.You just keep on buying those stocks at lowest prices,where you think selling is over done.Let HUL,Asian paints come to600, 700,I will buy with both hands/Let HDFC bank come to 700,800,I will buy with both hands .Are they coming down,I don't see ..I want LIC housing to come down,is it coming down to 300,never.I will buy if it goes down .I don't see Quality going down,they are highly over priced,but they will certainly remain over priced.I don't see mouth watering valuations even now in any of blue chips.Only third grade stocks are going down,but I will say that Abhi to inke girne ki suruat hai,aage Dekho hota kya hai Stay away from dirt.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    w4wealth likes this.
  17. darth

darth Active Member

When there is fear and panic its a great time to invest.... This certainly isnt the case at the moment where the Indian stocks are concerned. There are enough optimists flouting a turnaround being just around the corner..

18. darth

darth Active Member

And when things get rosy its time to continue slowly investing

19. darth

darth Active Member

On a lighter side, the best time to buy apples is in their season and not when they cost the same as potatoes. Chikoo's are available through the year though.

Happy hunting the asian paints and hdfc bank at levels you mention. More likely to occur only when there is gloom all around

20. darth

darth Active Member

Do you really think i feel pained with the kind of a portfolio i have?