Real estate stocks: Is it time to play contrarian?

Discussion in 'Must-Read Interviews, Articles & News Items' started by Meenakshi Razdan, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Meenakshi Razdan

Meenakshi Razdan Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Real estate isn't the best story doing the rounds - on ground as well as on the bourses. Most realty companies are saddled with debts and unsold apartments while stock prices are near or even below listing prices. Is it time to bottom fish, be a contrarian?

Read more at:
    https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/48549879.cms

2. dineshkapoor27

dineshkapoor27 Active Member

I believe that there are some really good realty stocks which are not doing well because of the sector outlook being bearish. These companies are performing well and have been selling their buildings at a decent pace. Those companies are the ones to be bought I think. I particularly like brigade, Godrej, Prestige. Real estate needs to correct in terms of house pricing I think. So they will need to take the hit of reduced toplines and margins if there's going to be any chance of reversal in the trend.

3. Kartikeya

Kartikeya New Member

Real estate is in doldrums . The ncr region has seen a bad fall over the last two years. Jp infra to me seems a contrarian buy at this point in time. Construction activity was extremely slow and ready flats could not be handed over because of the bird sanctuary issue for the last two years. Now with the environment ministry clearing this issue , apartments can be handed over n money generation should start . Its jp group, debt ridden, corporate governance n so many other negatives related to real estate and to this group but at this price of 12 its a contrarian bet as a hint of turn around in this sector will double the stock from this level. I think it needs a look as they have huge chunks of land which makes its debt look a lil less scary.