You cant sell stock if no buyer?

Discussion in 'Ask A Query About Your Stock Picks And Portfolio' started by Sonia, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Sonia

Sonia Member

When I am on the trading terminal and have 50 stocks of DHP India to sell, it is said that there has to be a buyer. If there are no buyers then I wont be able to sell my stock, right?

So what is the "market order" which the brokers say, that this order will get executed surely? as compared to limit order. If there are no buyers, then how will a market order be executed?

2. Carl Icahn

Carl Icahn Active Member

There are no buyers at a particular price point. If the price is lowered, at some level buyers will emerge. In a market order, the trade will take place because someone will be willing to buy the stock when the price falls to his level.

Sonia likes this.
  3. bskaneri

bskaneri New Member

@Sonia.

Do not buy low volume stocks for short term trading. Normally high volume stocks are day traders delight.

I also undergone with the same situation

4. New_Investor

New_Investor Active Member

Sale : If you select "Market Order" option, the stock is sold immediately at best available current price. If you select "Limit Order" option, you have to set the limit and the stock is sold only if the current price is above a specified price (limit set by you). selecting "market order" option is risky as the stock may be sold at a price less than your purchase price. But the stock will be most surely be sold even if at a low price (causing loss to you). Exception : If the stock is very bad and nobody wants to buy the stock.

Purchase : Similarly, If you select "Market Order" option, the stock is bought immediately at best available current price. If you select "Limit Order" option, you have to set the limit and the stock is bought only if the current price is below a specified price (limit set by you).

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015