New to stock market.

Discussion in 'Ask A Query About Your Stock Picks And Portfolio' started by basit, May 5, 2015.

1. basit

basit New Member

Hello friends

I am a student and an aspiring investor.I am just starting to invest.In this regard i want your advices on which stocks to pick.So please guide me on this. I dont have much capital currrently so I hope will recommend some affordable stocks ;D

Stocks I am currently looking at:

Granules india, Vip industries, meghmani organics, ptc
    india financial services .

Waiting for your replies

2. Meenakshi Razdan

Meenakshi Razdan Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Welcome! Congratulations on starting so young. You have a long, long way ahead of you. If you plan it well, you can achieve financial independence.

The important thing to remember is not to get carried away with the notion that one can make "quick money" from the stock market. Instead, you must always remember that the stock market is a "very dangerous" place. If you buy the wrong sort of stocks, your hard-earned money can evaporate into thin air in no time.

There are a number of excellent articles available on how beginners should approach the stock market. I'll find them and post the link here.

Basically, you must ensure that you only buy those stocks which you understand well and which are within your "circle of competence". Also, as a rule, before committing any capital to a stock, write down a page on why you are investing in the stock, what its prospects and risk factors are.

You can start with a brief analysis of the four stocks that you have set out. I suggest you pick one stock, say Granules India, and research it thoroughly. There are already a number of research reports available on the stock. Read each of them, identify their salient points, and put it down in a few bullet points. This will help you get a good understanding of the stock and help develop your conviction in its future.

I'll post more links to articles here.

3. basit

basit New Member

Thank you.
    I have read almost all the books for beginners like Ben Graham's Intelligent investor , Peter lynch's learn to earn and most of the Little Book Big Profits Series Books .And I am not in the market for quick profits.I am ready to commit my money to stocks for 5-6 years.

Any advice from you is always welcome

4. Meenakshi Razdan

Meenakshi Razdan Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wonderful. This is good news. What do you think of my suggestion that you must write a page to explain the investment thesis for a stock? I think that step will help to bridge the gap between theory and practice.

5. basit

basit New Member

Yes , that's a brilliant idea.I will definitely do that.Thank you ...

6. whomiiitr@gmail.com

whomiiitr@gmail.com New Member

Basit, out of the mentioned, Granules and PFS are well recommended and growing companies and safe to invest for long term horizon (not sure about others). Congratulations on starting on this journey at the right time.

7. basit

basit New Member

Thank you sir

8. Parin Gala

Parin Gala A long term investor

Welcome to the stock markets friend. I must say, you are one of the most well versed stock market beginner I have come across. Good for you. You already have some knowledge about the markets and your presence on this blog will enable you to gain a lot more knowledge by interaction with fellow investors. Wish you the best of luck for your stock market journey.

9. basit

basit New Member

Thank you very much