Which is the longest holding you had/have in portfolio?

Discussion in 'Ask A Query About Your Stock Picks And Portfolio' started by w4wealth, Jan 31, 2016.

1. w4wealth

w4wealth Well-Known Member

friends which are the shares you held/holding for long time? what returns did it give?

2. kharb

kharb Well-Known Member

I am holding L&T for last more than 25 years ,bought 10 paid stock at 60,got many bonuses, Ultratech stocks on demerger.I had already got dividends many times more than investment.It must be more than 100 baggers to me.Stopped counting.Permanent stock of my Portfolio .Aprox 50 % of my Portfolio may be more than 10 years and 80 % more than 5 years which includesL&T,ITC,ICICI,HDFC bank,Kotakbank ,Axis,Asian paints,HUL,RIL,Rel CaP,Idea,Ultratech ,Indusind,Yes bank ,Lupin,TCS,Infosys etc and giving stable returns. JP Associates is my pain stock,holding since aprox 10 years .

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  3. w4wealth

you are an inspiring long term investor for all of us and holding 100 baggers in your portfolio. You are equal to guru for us when it comes to long term investing. i definitely admired the patience you have shown in your investments.
    Holding L&T for more than 25 years is not a small achievement. I apprecite that .only a genuine and disciplined investor can do that.
    You hold many stocks that are admired by every investors.i think you have definitely a better strike rate than an average investor. becoz you have many winner stocks and a few losers. even warren buffet and rakesh jhunjunwala have flop stocks.
    thanks for sharing your experience.

shakti khanduri likes this.
  4. shakti khanduri

shakti khanduri Active Member

Congratulation,Sir,You are a real motivation for a long term investor. Would you be kind to elaborate your thought process through this period explaining how did you restrain the temptation to book profit when stock price doubled.

5. FallibleInvestor

FallibleInvestor New Member

I recently sold EIH which was passed down from grandparents.. Minimum 30 Years..

w4wealth likes this.
  6. w4wealth

what about returns?

7. kharb

kharb Well-Known Member

I just invest in Sector leaders or those compnies which are challenging sector leaders .In my opinion leadership don't change in compnies like political parties. In my opinion compnies keep leadership between 10 to 25 years easily.So if we keep portfolio of sector leaders minus PSU, metals,commodities ,airlines including equity diluters like those compnies which keep on doing QIP etc and just keep in adding new young leaders and keep on axing those who are losing leadership,you can make good returns.In my opinion finding future leaders is difficult, so better bet on new young leaders in addition to established leaders with contnious deletion of poor performers I never sell a sector leader stock till it don't underperform Sensex on trailing five years basis.More over even large cap sector leader stocks will be multibagger as Indian Economy will keep on becoming bigger and biggeIf India GDP will increase 10 times ,why market cap of sector not increase 10 times. .I sell only losers or if I require money then only the slowest performer in portfolio.Why to sell a winner and keep on searching new.Better sell losers and invest in existing winners if you don't find new emerging leader.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    w4wealth likes this.
  8. w4wealth

@kharb dear friend In which year did you started investing in markets?

9. bholu

bholu Active Member

I am not a very long term holder. Technically the longest holding I had was Canara Bank at its IPO. it was the first stock I bought and held it for long. But mainly because I was a passive investor . I guess i should had sold it long back but I think I sold it right at nick of time last year given the way the PSU stocks cracked this year. It appreciated well obviously and gave good dividend yield. The stock I have held the most by a conscious choice has been Infosys technologies. I really do not track the performance but I have received 2 bonuses, the dividend yield is good at 5% and at time when market has fallen almost 15-20% Infosys is rock steady, and still reasonably valued.

w4wealth likes this.
  10. bholu

bholu Active Member

I must also add that holding Infosys was not only based on returns. Infy's corporate governance, its contributions to society, the kind of training and entrepreneurial skills it has provided to its employees , its demonstration of meritocracy are all reasons why I have held Infosys and would continue to hold it. Here is what the World Bank president said about the company in 2013. I would encourage all investors to invest in companies with strong corporate governance which would help India reduce poverty in a effective and meaningful way.

https://profit.ndtv.com/news/corporates/article-how-infosys-is-helping-fight-poverty-in-india-319418

11. w4wealth

you are true long term investor @kharb. a role model to us

Srouta Mukherjee likes this.
  12. Srouta Mukherjee

Srouta Mukherjee Well-Known Member

100% Agreed :)

13. Farhan Ghumra

Farhan Ghumra Active Member

I am planning to buy L & T infotech at IPO and hold till longer time. I am hoping it would perform as good as its parent L & T.

14. Srouta Mukherjee

Srouta Mukherjee Well-Known Member

L&t Infotech IPO may not have broad appeal for all investors

But growth-oriented investors may not be enthused by the subdued revenue growth in dollar terms over the past two years, relatively lower employee utilisation and steep competition in the Indian IT outsourcing sector.

Read more at:
    https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/53071125.cms

Weakness in BSFI industry a worry: Like other major IT players, L&T Infotech is exposed significantly to segments such as banking and financial services, insurance and energy. Some of these segments are not performing well of late. Pressure on banks to reduce operating costs and improve return ratios is pushing them to look for alternates and emerging channels and that is impacting outsourcing spend on the vertical.

Read more at:
    https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/53058736.cms

15. ssgeethan

ssgeethan Member

Its highly priced is my opinion ... You have much better options in HCL (equally priced) & Tech Mahindra and Wipro (cheaper bets) ...

16. Farhan Ghumra

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  17. dineshkapoor27

dineshkapoor27 Active Member

I would suggest that you buy into a midcap product co. look at Tata Elxsi. A great co. although with high valuations. Good IoT play and good products. Growing at a good pace and with higher margins. Again high PE stock and is dependent upon growth of its products. Worth a bet on longer term than L&T info.

18. G_One

G_One Member

Subscribe for IPO, sell on debut day and make gains, invest in Elxsi which seems better play considering future aspects.

Cheers
    G1

19. Farhan Ghumra

@dineshkapoor27 @G_One I am already invested in Tata Elxsi and betting huge on it. ~25% PF is allocated to it and will be invested for longer time.

G_One likes this.
  20. G_One

G_One Member

As a person working in IT industry, not exactly software but core electronics domain, I am not very comfortable on the growth prospects of software companies especially at this juncture. There is consolidation in the industry and I would suggest you look for an established player than bet on a new kid in the block.

Cheers
    G1

Farhan Ghumra likes this.