Is DIS book important? Do you guys maintain one?

Discussion in 'Ask A Query About Your Stock Picks And Portfolio' started by vij, Feb 29, 2016.

1. vij

vij Member

Recently I have come across articles that cite the importance of keeping the DIS (Delivery Instruction Slip) book in a safe place and handle it like your bank account check book.

When I opened a demat/ online trading account with my broker, I never received a DIS book.

Is it important to ask for a DIS book if you are trading online ?

https://www.livemint.com/Leisure/Rt...line-Trading-Managing-your-demat-account.html

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  2. New_Investor

New_Investor Active Member

DIS is necessary if you wish to sell or buy shares off market (i.e. offline). If you buy or sell shares online only DIS is not required. DIS is like a Cheque Book. You use Cheque book to transfer money from your account to some other account and you use DIS to transfer shares from your Demat account to some other Demat account. You never keep a signed blank check book with you similarly you never keep a signed blank DIS with you. You have to keep your Cheque book in safe place as somebody can forge your signature and loot your money. Similarly, understand "the importance of keeping the DIS (Delivery Instruction Slip) book in a safe place and handle it like your bank account check book".

vij likes this.
  3. vij

vij Member

Thank you @New_Investor
    I am at ease now. whew!

4. Srouta Mukherjee

Srouta Mukherjee Well-Known Member

Me too. I never got DIS :)

5. RAMA MURTHY SASTRY CHALLA

RAMA MURTHY SASTRY CHALLA Well-Known Member

Dont worry sir,

DIS book series will change in one or two years span by NSDL so old series are not valid ,
    if your stock holdings not changed means you are safe , and more over update your cell number in stock broking in demat details , you will get every transaction message to your cell phone on that transaction day , if any stock pay out from your demat account you will get message and also update your email id with your demat holding company is useful for you , dont keep DIS book with your broker or sub broker or a remaiser with empty slips with signature ...always keep it in a safe locker it is equal to cheque book

ALL THE BEST SIR