Please review my portfolio

Discussion in 'Ask A Query About Your Stock Picks And Portfolio' started by Zeeshan, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Zeeshan

Zeeshan New Member

Bank of India @191 Qty 500
    SBI @ 260 Qty 200
    IDFC @155 Qty 200
    Bajaj Electrical @ 280 Qty 400
    Ceat @780 Qty 200

Please suggest which stocks i need to hold/Sell and which new ones i can add.

2. stockguru

stockguru Active Member

Please take a look at list of model portfolios which are regularly put up in articles that are made by large brokerage houses or fund managers. You would get roughly an idea of how to build a portfolio based on those. Everyone has a different risk profile and different expectations so you should keep that in mind.

3. dineshkapoor27

dineshkapoor27 Active Member

My suggestion add hfc or private bank like dhfl or axis. Remove boi. Ceat seems highly priced right now. Exit around 900-1000 if possible and maybe look at an infra/textile name. I suggest Sutlej textiles,rswm or Ashoka build con,irb infra, acc etc. that's the next play in my opinion.

4. Zeeshan

Zeeshan New Member

thank you Both
    @dineshkapoor27: BOI is at a very cheap rate of 150...should i exit now or hold...or buy to average my price..

5. Meenakshi Razdan

Meenakshi Razdan Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Hmmm ... Out of the five stocks in the portfolio, there are three engaged in banking and financial services. Of this two are PSUs. There is one consumer products company (Bajaj Electricals) and one tyre company.

The sectoral allocation appears to be skewed towards financial services. Also, the choice of stocks looks random.

@dineshkapoor27 is perhaps correct in suggesting that you shift from the PSU stocks to the private banks. Though the private banks are expensive, they are certainly better managed in terms of NPAs and spreads. He is also probably correct in suggesting a focus on textile stocks because those stocks to be in vogue nowadays.

However, on a larger perspective, I am not sure one call your present portfolio a properly "balanced" portfolio. I think you will agree that constructing a long-term portfolio is not just a question of picking a few good stocks. Instead, one has to ensure that not only is proper diversification amongst stocks but also amongst sectors.

I think the advice offered by @stockguru is very sensible. It is a good idea to look at a few model portfolios prepared by leading brokerages like Sharekhan, ICICI-Direct, Edelweiss etc and see why they have selected the stocks and understand their rationale. You need not copy the model portfolio in its entirety but choose the stocks that appeal to you. This is a better technique than picking stocks in a random manner.

6. Zeeshan

Zeeshan New Member

Thank you all for your valuable advice

7. dineshkapoor27

dineshkapoor27 Active Member

HFC co.s are undervalued I believe (although they seen some rally recently) and they have lesser NPA issues. Select NBFCs like Capital First, Shriram Finance etc. can also be looked at. I am really liking the auto ancillary and infra space where the rally is yet to come. This would be a good time to accumulate them. Stay away from BOI even if it is cheap. The only PSB where you can probably stick around if your REALLY want to is probably SBI as it has shown some good improvement in NPAs and growth. As @Meenakshi Razdan