Investment in Steel Counters

Discussion in 'Ask A Query About Your Stock Picks And Portfolio' started by Jai Kumar Omprakash Chawl, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Jai Kumar Omprakash Chawl

Jai Kumar Omprakash Chawl New Member

Hi, I am looking to invest in steel counters, specifically in Tata Steel. So I want to know if it is the right time to invest in Tata Steel and also would you suggest any other stock from the pharma sector..

2. Meenakshi Razdan

Meenakshi Razdan Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Is there a reason you are keen on the steel industry? Do you have any special knowledge about the Industry that you want to take advantage of?

The problem with investing in commodity stocks like Steel is that it is difficult to predict their future. One can't tell what the prices of the metal will be next years, or the year after that because it is very sensitive to economic data.

Tata Steel is a gross under-performer. Its' 10 year return is (-) 5%. The five year return is (-) 50%.

It may be better to invest in a secular growth company, unless if you have some special expertise about the Industry which gives you an edge over others.

3. Jai Kumar Omprakash Chawl

Thank you for you response. I have no expertise on the sector, but as you have said, even I notice that the sector and specifically Tata Steel has been an underperformer, and you have rightly said that the metal prices are very unpredictable and this point has helped me think if it is right to invest in it or not. But assuming that the Make In India might help the metals to grow and now that the price of Tata Steel is beaten up I felt that it would be a right time to invest in it. Again, I think that if at all this stock may perform it would be a long time when I see good returns out of this investment, and at this time there would be better options that might give good returns in a short time, but I have been unable to identify such stocks. Please help me in deciding if my view is correct or am I wrong?

4. whomiiitr@gmail.com

whomiiitr@gmail.com New Member

One should keep away from Metals until there is a good 10-15% sustainable upmove. MFs/FIIs do not seem to be interested in Metals as of now.

5. Meenakshi Razdan

Meenakshi Razdan Administrator Staff Member Moderator

My suggestion is that if one is not sure of what stocks to buy, then the best course of action is to clone a Model Portfolio. Sharekhan's Model Portfolio is said to have given a CAGR of about +30%. Like Edelweiss also has a Model Portfolio of chosen mid-cap stocks which are doing well. ICICI-Direct also has one and so does IndiaNivesh.

The stocks are chosen sector-wise and are given appropriate weights.

I suggest you peruse these Model Portfolios and see what their performance has been over the past 12 and 24 months. That will give you some indication of what the quality of the stock-picking is. You can then decide to choose one of the Models and clone it.

I think that would result in a much more satisfactory outcome than just a random and uninformed selection of stocks.

6. bholu

bholu Active Member

Tata Steel has been one of the worst performing NIfty stocks ...valuations are very cheap but the performance quarter on quarter fluctuates a lot....also a sizable portion of their operations are in Europe where outlook is very grim..debt is high....I would suggest you look at some other domestic manufacturer

7. Jai Kumar Omprakash Chawl

Thank you very much for your reply, I will look at the model portfolios and think of investing in those stocks. Your response is very much appreciated.