Sell Equities move to gold

Discussion in 'Ask A Query About Your Stock Picks And Portfolio' started by Vignesh Ravindran, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Vignesh Ravindran

Vignesh Ravindran New Member

Hi all

One of my friend is telling me to sell all equities and move to gold and remain in gold for a year.
    One of the main reason given was as Nifty is trading at PE of close to 24 . Historically Nifty cracks at this level. He says one can invest back in equities when it is close to 7000. Is there a merit in his argument. Dear forumers I request you to throw some light on this

2. Investor2008

Investor2008 Member

Falling equities are just a season . Dont just panic and sell it . Market is gonna be bull anyways ,if u r a long term investors you are gonna benifit or else if u r a short term investor follow what your friend says .

Meenakshi Razdan likes this.
  3. Meenakshi Razdan

Meenakshi Razdan Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Well, I wish it were that simple but it isn't. We know from experience of the past several decades that it is impossible to time the market or predict where it will go in the future.

A small correction in the market is enough for people to start predicting a bear market. Likewise, a small rise in the market will have people turn bullish again.

The best course of action is to stay disciplined and invest only in the best quality stocks that have earnings predictability. The key is to be confident of the specific stocks that we are investing in. If that confidence is there, then every dip in the stock price is a buying opportunity.

You can read this article on how leading investors suffered crippling losses in a market downturn but used that situation to their advantage by buying more of their favourite stocks.

How two of history’s greatest investors deal with losses

Another great resource that will help you to deal with market volatility is the "Intelligent Investor" by Benjamin Graham. In that the author explains convincingly on why we should not fall prey to the tantrums of "Mr. Market" (See Chapter 2 and 8)