My portfolio - Pl suggest modifications, if any.

Discussion in 'Ask A Query About Your Stock Picks And Portfolio' started by stockWisdom, Jun 13, 2015.

1. stockWisdom

stockWisdom Member

Hello, my portfolio for your suggestion :
    Axis Bk @ 535
    Britannia @ 2430
    CESC@600
    Dish TV@71
    GRUH Fin@ 270
    IDFC@ 131
    Info Edge(Naukri)@ 795
    ITC@ 283
    L&T Fin@ 66
    OM Metals Infra@ 39
    Pidilite@ 576
    Sun Pharma@ 576
    Talwalkars BVF@ 331
    Yes Bk@ 380

Kindly share your views on my portfolio.

Regards.

2. pradip

pradip Member

Hi,

I think you have a pretty much balanced portfolio. So in what proportions is your money split b/n these companies ?

In banking space, I too like Axis Bank & Yes Bank. You have bought Yes Bank at very good price )) Axis Bank looks an expensive buy. The historical PB has been 2.3 which translates to a price of 425

In FMCG space, Britannia is a very good buy. I believe you have bought it expensive. The historical PE has been around 30 and currently the company is clocking 50. Would suggest you to explore Marico.

In NBFC space, Gruh and L&T are look good. Here again, I think you have bought Gruh at an expensive price.PE <= 30 is what I will pay for it and this translates to a price of 180-190. Would suggest you to research HDFC, Dewan and Capital First

ITC, Sun Pharma & Pidilltie are good buys. Pidilltite has a historical PE of 30 and this translates to a price of Rs 300

Dish TV is too much dependent on factors outside the company's control - things like digitalization, govt. policy etc etc

3. Meenakshi Razdan

Meenakshi Razdan Administrator Staff Member Moderator

I agree with the points that @pradip has made. I would like to add a few observations:

I see that out of 14 stocks in the portfolio, there are five stocks in the banking and NBFC space. What is the percentage of capital allocated to these stocks? Also, is there an extent of duplication? Gruh Finance has been struggling a bit over its exalted valuations. You may consider whether it is better to go for a stock in the same sector (housing finance) but at lower valuations.

IndoEdge appears to be struggling because one of its properties (99acres) appears to be deep in the red. Whether these internet / ecom ventures will ever make money is difficult to predict given the intense competition for others like Housing.com, MagicBricks etc, etc.

ITC is also struggling. Though it is a blue chip conglomerate, the dependence on tobacco is weighing heavily on its prospects. Will that change in the near future and are there better options requires to be considered. The recent news that the company will invest Rs. 8000 crore in Telengana also requires to be factored in because it will crunch cash flows.

I am not familiar with Om Metals. What is the story here?

pradip likes this.
  4. stockWisdom

stockWisdom Member

@Meenakshi Razdan Thanks for your reply. My portfolio has 45% allocation in Banking and Finance as the interest rate cycle is moving downwards. I am considering buying Diwan HF or LIC HF but my GRUH holding is in a loss of 19%; should I book loss here?
    I will hold ITC (and will add below 270) for long, say 10 years as I feel that a good story of diversified business may unfold in future and their Cig business will improve. (I had booked profit in Larsen & Toubro just few days back and will buy again as I believe there also a diversified biz story is unfolding),
    OM Metal is a small cap with construction related business in Rajasthan. I bought it after I got a ref from Porinju veliyath's Twett. I hold a very small no of shares here.
    Regards.

5. Meenakshi Razdan

Meenakshi Razdan Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Well, on a relative basis, all stocks have corrected. In fact, in the last three months, Gruh has corrected only 11% while Dewan Housing has corrected 22%. Repco, LIC HF, GIC HF etc have also corrected between 11% to 15%. So, in making a switch, you are not worse off.

Ok. Do you know what the rationale is? Are there any brokerages covering the stock? The stock has corrected quite a bit (24% in 3 months).

6. SUNNY

SUNNY Member

ITC is already at 52 week low, there is less chance to go to 270, better get the stock now rather it is late

7. stockjeet18

stockjeet18 Member

ITC faces regulatory issues ... Already they are going down in volume growth of cigarettes which constitute the major sales and higher margin... So whether moving to other segments will
    fetch the same margin which cigarette has fetched ?... If not, then what will be rationale to put our money in itc for longer term...

8. stockWisdom

stockWisdom Member

ITC can turnaround from its cigarette volume crisis by improving its FMCG business. Just tell me, do I need to add or sell some stocks from my portfolio on a rise?

9. stockguru

stockguru Active Member

It is always a good idea to book some amount of profits atleast upto the level to recover the cost of your capital invested and put that into other ideas. However if you are fundamentally bullish on your companies and believe that there is much more growth seen you can leave them.
    Regarding your portfolio I would like to congratulate you on making a fine portfolio. All these are well known companies having good managements and can see reasonable growth ahead. I don't know much about Om metals so can't comment on that one.
    Regarding adding some stock, I think you ca add more IT and pharma companies. You just have one in each sector so it might not be a bad idea to add 1-2 companies more either the large cap ones or quality mid caps ones depending on your risk profile. However don't rush to buy in and always see the valuations at which you are getting. Try buying them at a reasonable valuation. Good luck with your future investments.

Happy Investing :)

stockjeet18 likes this.