Please review my Portfolio

Discussion in 'Ask A Query About Your Stock Picks And Portfolio' started by Adi_Investor7, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Adi_Investor7

Adi_Investor7 New Member

Asahi India

Ashok Leyland

Astec Life
    Axis Bank

Bombay Burmah

Brigade Ent

Cipla

Dalmia Bharat

DCB Bank

Dish TV India

Dishman Pharma

Elecon Eng

Federal Bank

Granules India

HDFC Bank

Heidelberg Cem

HSIL

HUL

ICICI Bank

IDBI Bank

IDFC

Inox Wind

J. K. Cement

KEC Intl

Kellton Tech

Kitex Garments

KNR Construct

KRBL

L&T Finance

LIC Housing Fin

Lupin

Mangalam Drugs

Marico

Motherson Sumi

Nandan Denim

NCC

NTPC

Oberoi Realty

Orient Cement

Palred Tech

Power Grid Corp

Prestige Estate

Prism Cement

Sanghi Ind

Sanghvi Movers

Schneider Infra

Shasun Pharma

Sintex Ind

Skipper

Srikalahasthi

Sun Pharma

Sun Pharma Adv

Surana Solar

Suven Life Sci

Swelect Energy

UPL

Voltas

2. Meenakshi Razdan

Meenakshi Razdan Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Hmmm ... I can see that you are a highly diversified investor. I can count more than 50 stocks in the portfolio. There is nothing wrong in having a highly diversified portfolio. It is a matter of personal choice. Several successful investors maintain highly diversified portfolios.

However, the moot question is about the thought process that has gone into buying these stocks. Is there an analysis made or have you bought the stock on a whim on the basis that because the amount invested is petty, there is not much risk in buying the stock.

For instance, I see that you have Surana Solar in the portfolio. Did you buy this for fundamental reasons or because of the recent news that a famous investor had allegedly bought it? The same question would arise for Palred Tech and some other stocks.

If you have been buying stocks on an impulsive basis, then I would strongly recommend a change in strategy. I suggest you go through each stock in the portfolio and ask why you bought it. If you are convinced about the reason, keep the stock. If you are not convinced, sell the stock, even if it is at a loss, and invest the proceeds in those stocks where you have the conviction.

If you feel unable to evaluate the merits of each stock, then the ideal course of action is to sell all the stocks and clone a Model Portfolio prepared by a reputed brokerage. There are several Model Portfolios prepared by well known companies like ICICI Securities, Edelweiss, Sharekhan, IndiaNivesh, GEPL Capital etc, etc. These portfolios are prepared after a careful study of the fundamentals and are balanced with proper allocation to large-cap and mid-cap stocks. The portfolios have also given handsome returns, beating the benchmarks by a wide margin. I suggest you study these Model Portfolios, track their performance over the past few years and choose the one that appeals to you.

I am quite confident that this strategy will yield better returns than the practice of buying stocks based on tips and rumors.

3. Adi_Investor7

Adi_Investor7 New Member

Hello Mam,Thank you for taking out time and reviewing it.

Mam each and every stock in this portfolio has been bought after doing a lot of research and with a strong conviction . For example Inox and Swelect are there because they are a play on the Renewable theme.KNR has been bought after reading a lot about them and considering gov infra push. I purchase Surana before all that happened and was trying to play the Solar and LED theme .

So no these picks are not impulse based but everything has been carefully researched . Sintex I read a lot about their Waste Water Management And Gov Sanitation push so every pick has a theory attached to it .

I just feel more comfortable in investing my money into ideas rather than a few selected stocks.Palred was bought as an E Commerce play .

So these ideas do come from those Model Portfolio reports / Articles on various websites even this one.And a few reco frm known investors .But all these are just resources of knowledge for me .I don't just read about a stock and just buy it .I do my own research after that and if I have the conviction then only I buy it .
    I hope that is an approach I can follow ?Also now that I have shared my stock picking ideology how would you rate my stock picks and do you see good returns from the pottfolio

4. Rajesh

Rajesh Member

Do you have conviction to put all your hard earned money in any single stock picked from your portfolio ? If not, revisit your thought process and reshape portfolio. I don't agree that this portfolio will perform. Well thought out investments also don't work if thought process is wrong.

5. stockguru

stockguru Active Member

You have made a nice diversified portfolio. However I would like to advice you is that keep a regular watch on the companies and make sure they are still on track with the goals that you might have though for them. I would also suggest you to book at least partial profits whenever you may get a chance atleast to recover your initial amount and to reinvest that amount in new ideas.If you believe the stock has more growth then you can leave it as it is.

Another point I would like to make is that, you mentioned that you invest money into ideas which actually is a good thing. But the point to remember is that you are not buying an idea you are buying a stock of a company.The returns you get would not be for the performance of that specific company As an example if you are buying a stock because it is an ecommerce play or maybe any other sector play, however you have never heard of the company nor you are familiar with the fundamentals of the company then it might be dangerous to invest in that company. I mentioned ecommerce for the reason that there are very few listed players in the Indian market who are on ecommerce play. Infoedge and Just Dial are somewhat there but purely they are not like traditional ecommerce players that buy/sell stuff like flipkart or amazon. Most of the well known ecommerce companies are either private or not listed in India.
    Investing in an idea can be an exciting thing but always look at the company you are investing because ultimately it is the pedigree of the company that would assure your returns and not the sector that it is in.

Happy Investing :)

stockjeet18 likes this.