1. Sunil

Sunil New Member

Unitech has tanked by ~50% today and is at the lowest point ever.....is it a good time to buy this stock??

2. stockguru

stockguru Active Member

If a stock tanks around 50% in a day you should ideally hold yourself for a moment and find why a stock has lost half its market cap in a single day. But if you are just a punter who wants to have a short term view my advice would be put only that much amount as you can afford to lose. If you want to invest in reality stocks, I would personally suggest you that there are far better companies in the market which might be more suitable from a long term investment point of view.

3. Meenakshi Razdan

Meenakshi Razdan Administrator Staff Member Moderator

I agree. If one wants to trade in the stock, then there is no time to think. One must act by instinct. A share fall has to be accompanied by a sharp rise. In fact, one can see that after dipping nearly 50%, the stock rebounded to close at 35% down. So, a sharp trader who caught the trade at the bottom would have made a killing by the end of the day.

Even now, such a steep correction will probably meet with some short-covering tomorrow or day-after and so people who have bought today may make some gains.

However, this sort of thing is not for everyone. You need strong nerves and sharp instincts to be able to do it. Also, you must have the mental attitude to bear a sharp loss if your bet goes wrong.

From an investment perspective, the approach is totally different. There, the fact that the stock is so weak would alert you to its weak fundamentals.

So, it is best if one is clear about what one wants to be - a trader or an investor - and plans his affairs accordingly. This will benefit in the long-run.