Must read review of documentary 'Amy'

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by San8422, Feb 22, 2016.

1. San8422

San8422 Active Member

I have considered movies as a form of art which not only gives us entertainment but also: -

1. Teaches us philosophy (Rashomon, Ship of Theseus)
    2. Takes us to new and wonderful places (Fitzcarraldo, Happy People)
    3. Gives us new experiences (Days of heaven)
    4. Creates empathy (Fandry --> We empathize with Dalits, Shahid--> Empathize with Muslims, Life is beautiful--> Empathize with jews)
    5. Motivates us (Bhaag Milkha Bhaag, Pursuit of Happiness)
    6. Promotes values (Neerja--> Self Sacrifice for the sake of others)
    7. Denounces social evil or wrong societal assumptions (OMG Oh My God: - Corruption by religion, All Quite on western front --> Against glorification of soldiers and war)
    8. Is a reflection of society and thus important from point of view of history e.g. Charlie Chaplin's 'Modern Time' is used by historians and teachers to study contemporary American society
    9. Helps us escape from our routine lives (Jurassic Park, Star Wars)
    10. Teach us about human relationships (The Only Son, Tokyo Story--> Parent-Child relationship )
    11. Sometimes they simply tell our story (Up --> Overcoming grief; 500 days of summer--> Break Up; Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa--> Rejection)

Earlier I used to see movies only as a means of entertainment. However the great film reviewer Roger Ebert (1942 to 2013) completely changed my outlook regarding movies.

Here I am sharing a review (not written by Ebert) of documentary 'Amy'. See below: -

https://www.rogerebert.com/festivals-and-awards/if-we-picked-the-winners-2016-best-documentary

I strongly suggest you to go and read the movie reviews written by Mr Ebert. Believe me, the movie reviews are as entertaining, informative and work of art as actually seeing a movie. Also you will be introduced to world cinema. See below: -

https://www.rogerebert.com/

Srouta Mukherjee likes this.
  2. Srouta Mukherjee

Srouta Mukherjee Well-Known Member

100% Agreed. Even stock market movies are good like wall street, wolf etc.

3. Kamalesha

Kamalesha New Member

Oh fantastic documentary it is.I read and agree this. Thank you for sharing